Saturday morning at Roberts Creek

• dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Went to Roberts Creek @ Red Rock Saturday morning in the heavy snow. Tough day. Fished the morning, only 3 crappies. Marked a ton of fish on the transducer, they had lock jaw. hrew waxies, minnows and rattle jigs at them. Water was so stained, camera couldn’t see 6 inches. Anyone else had any luck down there?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

is that lake red rock near des moines Iowa?

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Yes. Roberts creek is connected to Lake Red Rock in south central Iowa. Ever been?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Yep! I used to fish there quite often during the spring- A friend of mine used to guide on red rock- I have never iced fished it though- what is the water clarity like during the winter?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Nevermind- I just re-read you original post describing the water clarity- does that area see heavy pressure? How big were the three you got?

jripperger83
    Knoxville, IA

Yeah the water in Roberts is pretty bad. Not real clear. Just flood control, silt/mud bottom. The pressure isnt too bad, buts thats usually because the bite isnt on. Not too many people on the hard ice. Most of em start in the spring for crappie. You can find some slabs on Robets but you better have some sharp blades.

benjisdad
    Newton, Iowa

Where were you fishing…I’m planning a trip down to Roberts Creek on Monday afternoon..I know there are some brush piles just south of the boat ramp..might try there. Hopefully we’ll find em before it gets dark. Gonna try to do a bit of night fishing…

jripperger83
    Knoxville, IA

Just off the boat ramp if you head north, there are a couple of points. All along those points the DNR placed trees and pallets last summer. They run north and south of the points. If you can find some of the cover you can find some slabs. I was down there last weekend and caught a few. Located alot of fish and they chased but not real apt to bite. I have never had much luck there past dark, but ya never know. Well good luck.

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

We also fished north of the ramp up to the 2 point. Tough pull with the snow and wind. Drilled 15 holes and marked suspended fish 10-16 ft in 20 ft of water in 12 of them. Saw a guy drive a S-10 Chevy pickup across, that was entertainment. He drove over to a couple of shacks out in the middle. We caught 3 crappies, one 12 incher and 2 7 inchers. Not heading back this weekend.
    Anyone fished Lake Pitonka in Bondurant IA? Supposedly perch in there. Never seen one. Just heard fish stories. Have a good night!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.