One Side Flipped out on X4 or Otter Village

• showags
    Hastings, MN

I am intriqued by the idea of being able to fish 4 out of a sled style house but am curious as to whether or not a person could feasibly fish out of just one side without having to flip out both sides. In other words, on the Fish Trap X4 or Otter Lodge, can one side be simply flipped out and fished out of, or do both sides have to be flipped out at any given time? I have read that it is possible from ads for the products, but am curious as to real life, if anybody on here has used one. The obvious answer would be to have a 2 man shelter also, but money won’t allow after spending nearly $1,000 on either set up. Currently fish out of a 5600 and would like a flip over, most all trips are with atleast one other person, so weight is not a huge issue.

AverageSportsman
    SE MN

My advice would be to purchase any two of the clam houses. Purchase the trap link and you can take one sled when you fish by yourself or with someone else, and take two and trap link when you fish three or more. good luck with your decision. I have a Yukon as do the guys I fish with, we trap link two units when there is only two of us just because we love the room and it easily fishes four guys as well

showags
    Hastings, MN

I only wish the people I fished with had trap link compatible units. The 5600 I run does not have it either, so I am kind of back to square one.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

First off, I wouldn’t consider either of the 4 man shacks unless you’re having an ATV or sled do the pulling. A bit of snow, slush, or pavement/gravel makes it a chore to pull these things.

That said, I’ve fished out of the Otter Village with just one side flipped down and it worked great. If you’re going to be pulling it with sled/ATV, I’d definitely stick with the thicker sled and quality components of the Otter.

I’d advise rather than having one do-it-all sled, get your buddies to cough up some dough for their own shelter!

Joel

AverageSportsman
    SE MN

I just thought if you were going to spend around $1k on that unit for the same price you could buy two of the yukons or two new 5600 and trap link, just a thought

showags
    Hastings, MN

Good point, I guess I never put the $$$ together. I was ideally looking at the Otter line, but that is a good point. The only downside would be hauling twice the sleds though.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

That, and IMHO, the pro-series will simply hold up better over time. Esp. when towing behind an ATV or sled.

Joel

timberdoodle
    Grand Rapids,MN

I have the X4 and wouldn’t trade it for anything,yes it is a bit heavy but in my mind it has the thickest and strongest sled on the market also very durable fabric(unless you set it on fire, it does burn but thats another story).you can’t beat the four padded bucket seat’s, no you can’t just flip over one side because the other side lay’s over the seats, but in 30 sec or less you can have the whole thing set up and be enjoying all the space a 12×6 fish house has to offer

DaveI

The Otter Village isn’t available any longer. I’d look at the Canvas Craft double-flip with Norpac. Like another said, it’s only about 30 seconds to flip open the other side. It might be a matter of fishing on the other side to get into the school, too. Wouldn’t have to reset a single flip if that’s the case. Fshing two guys or with kids is way nicer with a double-flip. And, they’re on an Otter sled.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.