Power Pro – Ice Line – Quick Review

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I decided to try some of the Power Pro ice line given I’ve had good success with their other product lines. I’ve only been on the ice 3 times, so this what I consider a first look of the line. All three times, conditions were pretty cold to darn right miserable. I’m using the 2lb diameter line, although it feels/looks like it’s bigger than that.

The line has held up well to abrasions from wear/tear of traveling in my rod bag and banging around in a bucket etc….It seems to stay on the spool nicely for me and comes off easily without any large “pukes” of line. I like the blue color for re-tying. I’m sure you old farts would really like it.

My one and biggest negatives has been the line’s ability to “hold” water. After fishing side by side with other products, it’s clear my guides are freezing more and the line has much quicker and larger ice buildup.

Given the brutal temps we are already experiencing, I’ll be removing this line and replacing with Vanish or a like product.

What have others experienced??

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I must admitt that that has been my only problem with Power Pro- it holds water. I found that Fireline Crystal works well on ice rods. But still, I can’t get away from mono for ice fishing. I love Suffix Ice line- works great.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I have had the same results.The super lines tend to hold water and freeze up.I still have the line on my reels I just no longer fish when it is cold out Maybe thats why I havnt been out yet this year.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Kooty, Power Pro will hold a lot of water and be an issue in the cold even in the small diameters. Crystal fireline will hold some water but is better. I just wrote a piece on this same subject. Give Fluorocarbon a try…..I recommend Vanish or Vanish Transition.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Quote:

Kooty, Power Pro will hold a lot of water and be an issue in the cold even in the small diameters. Crystal fireline will hold some water but is better. I just wrote a piece on this same subject. Give Fluorocarbon a try…..I recommend Vanish or Vanish Transition. [/quote.]

Hey Scott, I was wondering if you had a link to the piece you just wrote? I would be interested in taking a look at it. Thanks.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I had the exact same experience. Holds a lot of water and freezes to the guides and spool. I used it one year and went back to Vanish. They say Vanish disappears in water, but I think it disappears equally as well in ice shacks. Drives me nuts trying to get the line through those little eyes on small jigs.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

Hey Scott, I was wondering if you had a link to the piece you just wrote? I would be interested in taking a look at it. Thanks.

Click on my site in my signature.

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

After using both power pro and fireline crystal, I am switching all rods to either cajun ice or vanish. Now, if you spend the majority of your time in a shack you are probably fine. I am almost always outside moving around and the power pro and fireline absorb too much water and freeze too often for me.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I tried Cajun also and didn’t care for it. It only lasted about 2 trips. I really do try a lot of different lines, it is just hard to beat Fluorocarbon. Cajun is easy to see though.

kooty
    Keymaster

I’d like to fish in the shack more, but can’t ever seem to get the fish to stay under one hole. So, I end up outside more often than not. I’ll be switching out the PP for Vanish tonight.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Kooty, with Fluorocarbon line you want to give it time to seat on the reel. If you spool up today and fish tonight the line will really want to jump off the spool. After two days it will seat on the reel really well. It is not that you can’t fish with it, just that a fresh spool of Fluorocarbon can be frustrating for some as most spool it up right before they head out fishing. Just a little warning. The smaller the test the less it is an issue. I don’t use more than 6lb on the ice and even 6lb feels like cable somedays.

kooty
    Keymaster

Good info Scott. I won’t be getting out til Sunday, so this should be perfect for it.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Kooty,

I tried this same experiment a few years ago and went with flouro and haven’t looked back. However, I still had a reel with the PP ice on it and I really like it for slip bobbering panfish in warmer months. Strong and the line doesn’t get abraided by the slip knot.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.