2nd Annual Ice Fishing GTG on Pool 10

• mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Oops, double post, sorry

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I will be there. Hope it’s not 10 below!!!!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Wade, good question…

I find that the panfish tend to back out of the sloughs and find their way to slack water, usually with a spring close by or the channel near to keep the oxygen levels up to support the food chain…most depths that I fish are 3′-5′ max…There are some deeper waters around that have been fished with good success but that is a different body of water… good question Wade !!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

“Is the ice fishing on these pools much/any different from ice fishing lakes?”

To answer your question, yes and no.

Lake Onalaska on pool 7 has current coming off the river but it it’s typically very mild. Lawrence lake on the upper end doesn’t have any current that I know of. For the most part it is fed from fresh water springs.

Most of the spots you find panfish in during the hardwater season won’t have much current. Some of the best panfish spots have ‘feeder current’ that keeps fresher, cleaner water in the area for the fish to winter.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Dave, you & I must have been typing at the same time!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Very good info Tom !!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Thanks Guys!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Hey Dave,

Is the ice down there typically safe enough to ride a snowmobile? I’ll try and con a couple buddies into making the trip. If they pass, I’ll have some open seats for anyone from the metro area that wants to split some gas. How far are you from Red Wing? I assume 61 is the quickest way??

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I am intersted in heading down there for the get together, then you can put a face to the names. share some good fishing/hunting stories.

thanks

shane

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey waterfowler,

Lots of snomobiles on the ice down here, c’mon down…If anyone wants I can look up some motel info …just under 3 hours from Everets…I thing 61 is the quickest…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

With the incredible nmumbers of HUGE crappies getting themselves caught this fall on Pepin I would think that a Lake Pepin Ice Get-Together would be a good time and a safe bet to get on some fish. Once we get the PDC event behind us let’s talk more about a second a month later or so on Pepin so those with a MN license can participate. Plus just the chance to ice a few of those huge craps should get the blood flowing!

Quote:

Ec, just give the word.
    Another GTG on Lawrence Lake or even farther north would be nice too. Getting to enjoy my time spent on the upper pools so some ice fishing up there would be very nice. I’m talking about pools 7 thru 4. So many areas and so little time.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

I’m gonna try to get away & join you guys. Sounds like fun!

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Hey Dave, count me in this year too. Looking forward to not having to leave early this year. Judging by the numbers of nice panfish being caught lately on Pool 10 it will be a very good time. Let me know if what you need me to bring anything, I would be happy to help.

Brian Lyons

I get too nervous in crowds. Count me out

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

B !!! you always were the quiet shy type

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Here is a list of motels

“just in case you all want to stay at the same place”

AmericInn 608-326-7878

Best Western 608-326-4777

Bridgeport Inn 608-326-6082

Brisbois Inn 608-326-8404

Delta Motel 608-326-4951

Prairie Motel 608-326-6461

Super 8 608-326-8777

There is a Country Inns and Suites too but it’s brand New and it isn’t in the phone book yet…water park,resturant/bar attached and it’s 1 block from Cabelas

Brian Lyons

What the sam hill is a water wark?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

oops !! {corrected}

Brian Lyons

Thanks Dave! You now stand corrected. I owe you a Cutty Wark

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Hey Big B. Cutty Wark That is a good one. I may have to see what I can locate in the basement bar to bring that way. I remember a couple of bottle of cog-nark .

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Anyone else for camping out? Saturday night?

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I will have to miss this year I think. We have reservations on LOTW that time frame. Have a couple for me (fish that is).

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Alas, I too, regrettably, will have to miss this year due to prior engagements. Trying to remember what ice looks like, can’t form a clear mental picture………… Guess I’ll have to settle for next year!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

we should throw a welcom back to the states for littleB when he makes it back state side. get him out there and get his lines wet, then have a pot luck lunch and then get back out fishing. that way he can’t miss that one.

shane

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

ttt

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Are we going to have an optional Breakfast or supper place such as the hungry house, or black angus?… John

superdave
    NE IA

I’m definitely game as well! Which reminds me Dave, where did you get your sportsmans mulit cooker/heater? I asked about it at cabelas and the guy looked at me like I was crazy, said he’s never heard of such a thing. If i do find one I will definitely bring it along to help cook up lunch.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I will need to borrow your equipment again Tom….
    Meet you there.
    jc

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Listen JC,

If Tommy Boy can’t make it your more than welcome to my equiptment…I sure would like to see anyone there, If they just want to learn some about ice fishing they can borrow some equiptment form anyone of us. Just show up and see me,I’ll get you lined up ..

As far as a breakfast spot….that sounds great…as lunch i think were planning on having eats on the ice…and supper,,,,how about Spring Lake Inn or Fort Mulligans…both have great food without maxing out the check book…

Looks like we should have some good ice by this weekend…

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’ll be there, and yes Jc you can borrow anything you need. Heaven knows I have enough gear. I think we’ll need to start a grocery list when January rolls in.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.