First ice trip of the year

• shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Made it out for the first time this afternoon for a few hours. Wyatt and I tag-teamed on this pike via tip up. It was the 2nd flag of the day, the first producing nothing but a bare hook. This one didn’t have a chance, as all three hooks on the treble were buried in the corner of its mouth. Told Wyatt that the fish hit it so hard that the he knocked the minnow off the hook. When we got home, he watched me fillet it and low-and-behold, one full size sucker minnow filled it’s belly. He thought that was pretty cool.

Downside of the day, was remembering the things I said I was going to do over the summer… auger blades were duller than a spoon.

I was also surprised that the battery on the Marcum died an hour into the trip. I’ve had it on the charger for a month. Can’t be too upset with 3 years of service though. Funny part was when Wyatt said, “We don’t need that thing… we’ll know if there are fish down there if my bobber goes down… or if the flag goes up again.” Kids… how innocent.

After filleting the pike, Wyatt asked if we could have it for Christmas breakfast. I think I can make that happen.

Lars

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Way cool
    Congrats to Wyatt and yourself and enjoy that Christmas breakfast

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That will be an awesome Christmas breakfast

Cool read, sounds like a blast.
    Great job on the team work with that toothy critter you guys

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

awesome! beauty pike!!

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

That will be a classic photo for him when he gets older!!

kyle_seubert
    La Crosse, WI

nothing better than that right there

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Sure feels good to hit the lake on the hard water!

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

A tradition in the making?
    Congrats
    cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.