Mr. Heater ?

• abster71
    crawford county WI

I have a Mr. heater burner/cooker that is 8000 to 14000 btu and was wondering if there is any way of turning the heater down lower even on cold days at the lowest setting it’s sometimes to hot would also like to save on fuel consumption.

brushy19

I have the same problem with mine. A lot of days it is just way too hot. What I have ended up doing is getting a mr. buddy heater for those warmer days. It seems like this one’s high isn’t anywhere near the cooker’s low. The spring in the turning knob just wont let you go any lower. I have held the knob at a lower position and it works fine, but once you release it it springs to off. Not sure how to modify it.

shaley
    Milford IA

I have mine modified to burn from about 3000-20,000. Done this mod 20+ years ago and if you can find the parts its simple. PM me for details if you like.

rcruss
    Fountain City, WI

i know the older mr. heaters had the variable valves you could turn way down which are nice, the newer lo med hi regs on these heaters can be a bit much, mine will stay below the low setting with a little playing around i have a small shack and rarely use this style heater anymore until this artic blast came along. there are different style heaters out there that are smaller and do cut down on the weight which for me is a must

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Just turn your valve down on your big tank…to almost closed..if you play around with it, you can get it down to much lower btu’s than the low setting…

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

I just bought a Big Buddy heater and I am a little confused. Do I need the filter to run off my 20 lb tank? If I get a hose & regulator is that good enough??

Gundy

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

You might be alright without the filter, but I have heard guys talk about “needing” the filters to have the big buddies run properly.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Gundez, I just bought the Big Buddy and was doing some research on them before hand. What I got out of the fuel filter is it will keep any impurities from getting into your heater. I personnaly don’t know what impurities are in bulk propane but for $9 I just bought one for good measure. You do not need the filter to run it off a big tank.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Quote:

You might be alright without the filter, but I have heard guys talk about “needing” the filters to have the big buddies run properly.

I wonder if it is impurities that make them not run right without the filter and if so what are the impurities in propane?

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I just asked the local LP guy about this since he was repairing a couple of Big Buddies.

There is a quick connect on the Big Buddy left tank side. It’s just behind the screw in fitting.
    If you use the quick connect hose with a regulator it is low pressure. So no filter needed.

If you use the screw in connector on the left side and use a hose you SHOULD use a filter since it’s high pressure direct from the bulk tank.

He made it sound like the high pressure leaches oil out of the rubber hose and that causes problems for the Buddy heaters.

If you use 1 lb tanks it’s no problem since no hose is involved.

Ferny

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

Here is the correct answer to the filter issue that is non-existant: I’ve run my Big Buddy off of a 20lb tank for the past four years with “NO” regulator between the heater and tank……..It Works Just Fine!!!! No filter is necessary no matter what anyone says! The only thing that filter will do for you with the Big Buddy is screw up a good fishing trip.
    So now if anyone follows this post with , “I was told blah, blah, blah, that you need it”, you are talking out of your !!
    Four years, over two hundred hours – no problems!!
    End of story!!!!!!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.