Lake Of The Woods question

• Wadsworth

Anyone ever stay at Zippel Bay resort on LOTW? we reserved a 3 day trip in a sleeper shack in mid-January, hoping to get into some big walleyes and northerns.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

It is on my list of things to do, I fish Rainy in Oct. Let us know how you do

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Never stayed at Zipple, but I tink most are the same. They all want you to catch fish so you come back. Be sure to keep an eye on your flasher for suspened fish. Last year they were always the biggest and most aggresive fish we caught.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Wads .We go to Zipple every year. We have an 8 holer booked for the 15th-19th. What dates are you going?

Wadsworth

We’ll be up there the 15th through the 19th also, staying in a 4 man sleeper, it’s our first time up there, we’re really excited, we’ll have to say hi when we’re up there.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

PM me a week before, get ready for the ice fishing trip of a life time.

Wadsworth

You got it, now I really can’t wait!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Yep. I’m getting pumped too. Zipple Bay Resort runs a great operation. Nice plowed roads and nice houses. The bite is usually consistent. Last year we averaged about 70 fish per day. Gold is the best producer. The new gold Angel Eye will be hot up there this year.

You can get them here:

http://www.bfishntackle.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=27

bigpike

Hey Derek, all this talk of Zippel bay has my friends and myself planning a trip there instead of Mille Lacs (go big or go home some would say) anyways what is the difference between shallow shacks and deep shacks and do portables come in handy here? Any other info such as hotel info would be great, we are planning on driving up all day and staying at a motel, would it be better to go straight to the ice? Any other info would be helpfull, 70 fish a day…….

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Hi bigpike.. Zipple Bay Resort offers packages the include deep water and shallow water houses. What this means is you fish in a deep water house which is mainly for sauger but you do get walleyes mixed in, then you switch to a shallow water house in the afternoon to fish strictly walleyes as they move into the shallows to feed in the evening. Portables will work, they have separate roads and places for portables. They don’t allow portables on any roads or next to rentals which is nice. I would recommend getting a cabin from the resort. The rates are good and your right on the lake. They also offer houses for pike fishing as well. 20 pound pike in the bay are not uncommon. There really is no nite bite on LOTW. Your better off driving up and fish until dark and get a cabin and start fishing again in the morning. Make plans asap as they fill fast.

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

bigpike,
    Derek’s right, if you’re going to book a shack, do it quick! Personally, I prefer to use my portable for mobility reasons, but the shacks are less hassle. Each method has it’s advantages. If you fish in a shack, you’re kind of limiting yourself to basically one particular spot, but the wind isn’t as much of a factor, and you stay warmer. If you bring your portable, you can go anywhere you want, but if the wind really starts to gust, you could go sailing pretty quick. My buddy and I get a room in Baudette, take our portable out to fish ‘eyes in the morning(my favorite time), then take them in to one of the bays on the south shore and set out tip-ups for pike during the day, then head back out over Pine Island for more ‘eye action in the evening. Works pretty slick. I do believe, however, that you can do no wrong on Lake of the Woods. Whichever method you pick is going to get you some fish. If you have any further questions, feel free to fire away. Lots of people on these boards with vast amounts of knowledge and experience to help you out. By the way, we’re going to be fishing the 14th through the 17th of December, and I CANNOT WAIT!!!

Mark

Wadsworth

What would be some good lures to bring with us on our trip up, other than fishing tip-ups and panfishing, we haven’t really done much jigging for walleyes. We plan to fish eyes mornings and evenings, and during the middle of the day we’ll probably jump on the four wheeler and look for some shallower water to throw out some tip-ups and try to get a few of those pig LOTW northerns.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

For jigging walleyes and saugers, the gold Angel Eyes will work excellent. For pike I like to use dead ciscoes or smelt on tip-ups.

fireline
    Rochester

Derek ,do you know what the ice is like on LOTW ? We are going up December 19-22 out of Wigwam Resort .

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Conditions vary from 8-12 inches. Most resorts have houses out.
    They are driving on Red as of today.

bigpike

Booked our shack today, we will book a shallow shack for the early/late bite than use the portables for mobility during the day, thanks for the info we are very excited about this trip, I’m sure I’ll have more questions for you guys……we are booked for January 6,7,and 8th. P.S. This is booked right over the moon phase

MinnesotaMuskie
    Foley, MN

Gentleman,

I just found this website today…this is great…I need to figure out out to navaigate…but…

I just booked a trip to Zippels on January 11/12/13 with four of my Wisconsin buddies. It sounds as though I will not be disappointed.

I will stay tuned for additonal tips on LOW. I have never fished LOW before.

The website looks interesting, any suggestions.

SteveO

glasspa
    lake city, mn

Anybody fish the west side out of Warroad? I hear Jakes ice fishing has a good set up with overnight sleepers, anyone ever use him?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.