Through the ice in Stoddard

• Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Hey guys, just want to send a shout out to still be careful on the ice. I know we’ve had some cold weather, but we’ve had lots of snow fall too and that can cause some areas to remain weak.

For example today – surrounded by 8″ of ice, BC saw an ice fishing hole and walked over to check it out and before he knew it he was up to his chest in water. It happened in a matter of seconds and he was able to get out as we ran to his aid, but it was still scary.

Below is the picture of the hole. You can see the auger hole at the top and you can see his footsteps where he was walking to it.

Be careful out there guys!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I was very glad to hear everything turned out ok.

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Dang, that’s crazy with 8 inches of ice around. Glad to hear that everything turned out O.K..

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Brrrrrrrrrr ,that would cold as H**L , Glad to hear all turned out ok.

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

Thank god he is OK, need to be carefull out there.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Very scary!

I did the same thing a few years ago. I step less than a foot from where my buddy stepped and I went down. Crazy stuff!!!

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

It was cold, but not really as bad as I thought it’d be.

Went home, changed, and came back out to catch some gills. Too bad the bite wasn’t that good.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Great to hear you survived ok BC……
    Been there done that…

Have the “boys” come back yet?

Last time I went through it was about a week before they showed again

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

man that really sucks! there’s really no explanation that I could see for the ice being that thin there

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Have the “boys” come back yet?

Slop says he hasn’t had them for years anyway.

wisconeye
    Vernon County Wisconsin

What’s it going to take to ‘heal’ these spots up? Many of them are probably covered by snow unless the wind on Sunday cleaned them off. Certainly the cold weather is going to help, but all of that snow….I just don’t know. I’ve never encountered this before and now I’ve got to block IDO Fishing so the wife can’t see these posts or I’ll never convince her to go ever again!!!! She warned me Saturday and I hate it when she is right!
    BTW- I did pretty good on Saturday but it wouldn’t have happened without ReelWeeds holding some finicky fish by my holes—they were just wandering otherwise. 19 keepers feed my family who is now all home for the holidays.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

At Goose there are so may springs , or as an old timer calls them “LEAKS” that I always try the usual suspect areas myself before I let the others with me go there. I’m kinda perplexed though cause my step throughs seem to have nothing to do with the temps that day and the last few. Second coldest stretch of the year I had three step throughs. The water was coming up though so imagine that may affect it??? Fortunately at Goose the poor ice is almost always in the same spots.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.