Favorite Ice Fishing Techniques

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

What is everyones favorite ice fishing technique? The answers to this question will shed light on both old and new techniques and why one technique is preferred over another. Everyone can share and learn too. Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I would have to say my favorite ice fishing technique is jigging using a flasher so I can see where my lure is in relation to the fish and move it up or down to be in the fishes nose so to speak. It really works great inside an ice house so the light is blocked out more so looking into the hole and seeing fish is like ”fish TV.” It’s a fun way to ice fish. Give it a try this winter. Thanks, Bill

3way
    eastern iowa.

this is just alittle off the last question. are there many members here who have fished the brainerd jaycee extravaganza in jan ? we had a small group there in jan. of 98, i remember that day because the vikings lost the playoff game to atlanta. anyways, only been there that once. the day we were there, all the winners were caught withing the first 5 minutes. as soon as the jig hit the bottom they had their fish. after that it was pretty much nothing. there must be locals around there that use their gps before hand to help find stucture. i see there is a youth fishing first. they didn’t have that in 98. kids have a chance for some great prizes. does this hamper the adult fishing later or is it in a different spot. we are thinking about getting a small group again this year. the prizes are unbelievable, but not that easy to win for sure. had a great time, never seen soooo many people on the ice. somewhere between 8 & 9000 people…………wow. john madden was rumored to be there but never seen or heard if he made it on the ice.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I don’t know if I would call it my favorite ice fishing technique, but it sure is the most fun you can have on the ice. I fish from an 8’by 12′ permenant house. On the lake my buddies and I fish, this is the deluxe house. There is a stove, two bunks, and a radio. We put the house over some secret structure and set the rattle wheels. Now all we have to do is play some cards, drink some beverages, and wait for the rattle. Our secret spot produces 10 to 13 inch crappies, nice walleyes, northerns, pounds of 5 inch perch, and the occasional jumbo bluegill and catfish. During the day, we do work around the cabin and snowmobile and then it is back to the house for some more fun.

Don’t get me wrong, if I had the equipment, I would be the first person on the ice with a portable, flasher, and my jigging rod. I love to fish hard, but without the equipment it just isn’t fun.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.