Where should I start?

• Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Never been ice fishing (yes i know i live in minnesota!) and I would really like to do some? Where should i start? Should i go out and buy everything possible to be able to do it on my own? Should i look at renting an ice house etc?

P.S. im a cold baby. Hate the cold!!! So if i was to go out on the lake without a house I think i wouldn’t last, well I probably wouldnt get out of the car! haah

Thanks for the advice!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I would start with some quality cold weather gear. If you aren’t comfortable when you are out, you won’t go.

You can get good outdoor gear and stay warm for 200 dollars easy. The next thing I would do is hire a guide that has all the gear. If you don’t enjoy the experience with the guide then you aren’t out a pile of cash for gear. You can get outfitted for ice fishing gear for another hundred or two or you can spend up to 30K on everything you could use to fish through the ice. A good flasher and a good auger are good investments. I use a cheap camera and use it all the time. Have fun.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well, you could come on out to the MarCum “More Power” event on White Bear Lake on the 20th and see what is available as far as products are concerned. There will be portables, wheel shacks, lots of flashers (obviously) and if you’re a freeze baby I’ll bring my extra snosuit for you to wear. I’ll have extra rods and bait so my thinking is you could basically get a day on the ice at absolutely no cost to you to see if you dig the experience or not and there will be lots of opportunities to kick tires on all sorts of products.

Let me know if you’re interested. I’m going anyway so really all I would need to do is throw the snosuit in the truck so it wouldn’t be any extra hassle at all.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I would love to join you!!!! Ill pm you shortly!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Cool. The snosuit is XL so as long as you’re 5’10” – 6’4″ we should be set.

I think it is going to be pretty cool to get a first timer out on the ice.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

If I were you I’d jump all over the offer from James.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

doh! im 5’8”! should work! lol

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Wear tall shoes.

You’ll be fine. It will just be a little long in the legs is all.

Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

Quote:

Well, you could come on out to the MarCum “More Power” event on White Bear Lake on the 20th and see what is available as far as products are concerned. There will be portables, wheel shacks, lots of flashers (obviously) and if you’re a freeze baby I’ll bring my extra snosuit for you to wear. I’ll have extra rods and bait so my thinking is you could basically get a day on the ice at absolutely no cost to you to see if you dig the experience or not and there will be lots of opportunities to kick tires on all sorts of products.

Let me know if you’re interested. I’m going anyway so really all I would need to do is throw the snosuit in the truck so it wouldn’t be any extra hassle at all.

Just can’t say enough about the IDO staff and the above is proof. I was hooked on the first episode and I’m glad I followed up with the website/forum. Great work and professionalism guys!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I’d start out with used equipment.

Check out fishing website classifieds.

Save some money and find out what gear works for you.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d start with a good pair of boots. Here is a recent thread.

Warmest Ics Fishing Boots

I have a plain old pair or Sorels that are serving me well. Should get another couple years out of them.

-J.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m sure if you post your location someone on this site would be willing to take you out and show you the ropes. I know I enjoy introducing new ice fishermen to the sport and I’m sure many others her do as well. I would not worry about the cold. With the right equipment you can stay more than warn enough in even the coldest temps. Best of luck to you.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

P.S. im a cold baby. Hate the cold!!! So if i was to go out on the lake without a house I think i wouldn’t last, well I probably wouldnt get out of the car! haah

Well I guess you are a perfect candidate for a hand auger. Any time you get cold just pop a hole or two in about 18″ of Ice, and you’ll be plenty warm.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Not going to fall for that one!!!!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

That is a GRAND offer that James has offered you ,JUMP all over that one .
    What a great jesture James , this is such a sharing site and I am very proud to be part of it.

Jeff

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I’m bringing the beers!!!!

Thanks again James!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.