Pike lure

• starkj25

I would like to try and catch some more northerns this winter by jigging, I’m wondering what people use to catch them. Primarly looking for a lure that does not include live bait, but I’m open to all options
    In the past have caught them on jigging raps, i would like to find some of the old ones they do not make anymore, I think they were size 11

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

swedish pimples or airplane jigs

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I would like to try and catch some more northerns this winter by jigging, I’m wondering what people use to catch them. Primarly looking for a lure that does not include live bait, but I’m open to all options
    In the past have caught them on jigging raps, i would like to find some of the old ones they do not make anymore, I think they were size 11

Read through this thread from earlier in the week. It has some good info on artificial pike presentations.

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/727966/fpart/1/icing-pike

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Buckshot and a shiner head, cant be beat…

Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

Starting to see a pattern but I’m a Chubby Darter fan. I built up my confidence with these lures on pike first before I moved to walleyes with them. Adding bait kills the action so I don’t use any on them. You should at least have one or two of these in the box.

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

Quote:

Quote:

Read through this thread from earlier in the week. It has some good info on artificial pike presentations.

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/727966/fpart/1/icing-pike

There’s James again with a prior thread post. Man, that’s awesome. What a great website run by a bunch of great people.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Starting to see a pattern but I’m a Chubby Darter fan. I built up my confidence with these lures on pike first before I moved to walleyes with them. Adding bait kills the action so I don’t use any on them. You should at least have one or two of these in the box.

The tried and true blade bait is a pike killer as well. Particularly in stained or off-colored water. I talked to a well known Red Lake guide at the ice show earlier in december and he was all excited about how well the BFT blades were working for walleyes and pike on Red Lake. The vibration kicked off by that type of lure is undoubtedly felt by any pike within a 1/4 mile radius.

PS – Orange Tiger was the hot color. At least on Red.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

There’s James again with a prior thread post. Man, that’s awesome. What a great website run by a bunch of great people.

Thank you… from all the staff here at IDO.

interceptor

It might still be in your “live” bait catagory, but dead smelt (frozen) are one of the best pike “baits” available. If frozen properly, will hold together fairly well on a jig and are killers on a tip-up.

Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

Quote:

Quote:

The tried and true blade bait is a pike killer as well. Particularly in stained or off-colored water. I talked to a well known Red Lake guide at the ice show earlier in december and he was all excited about how well the BFT blades were working for walleyes and pike on Red Lake. The vibration kicked off by that type of lure is undoubtedly felt by any pike within a 1/4 mile radius.

PS – Orange Tiger was the hot color. At least on Red.

Definitly not saying it’s the only lure to use (and I’m not a marketing guy for them either!) but I started off using them for pike and they worked great. I have a box full of spoons, mini-airplanes, mag airplanes, and even “sonar” lures and sometimes they prefer one over the other. I usually start off with an aggressive lure like the darter and hole hop. If I don’t get anything within the first 5 minutes or so off to the next one. If I can’t get anything to go but I see them on the Marcum then I slow down. A lot of great lures to choose from now a days! Just sharing a little personal experience.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I know those Darter work well on pike. I’ve been caught leaderless while fishing walleyes and had some nice pike walk off with my shiny new bait.

What size Darter do you use when you’re targeting pike? Same size you’d use for the walleyes or do you go a little larger?

Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

I started out with a couple of #5’s and used them both for ‘eyes and pike. Since then I have added some 6’s and the new 3’s. I feel your heart ache with getting bit off. One issue with these lures if you use a heavy leader or heavy snap it affects the action of these things greatly. So I would just suggest 6’s for pike so that they still have good action without giving all the local pike lip jewelry. Your Tyger Wire is a good idea and I’ve been thinking about doing that lately. I like the #5’s overall the most and hope to try the 3’s for perch soon.

All in good fun..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.