is it time to drive on ice

• eye_hunter

well, I was out last week and saw some cars on centerville. I thought it was still unsafe. I haven’t been out since this cold snap came in, has anybody checked the ice condition, and has anybody tried driving on the ice yet. if its drivable I would like to get out there because i dont want to haul my ice house through all that snow. if its not safe yet, let me know so I can wait some more.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

My father-in-law always said “The only safe ice is in your coke.” But, he’s kind of a p—y!

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

too early for me, I have no problem walking out yet,

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

First off…NO ICE IS SAFE!!! Second…I’m guessing the ice will be thick enough this weekend in most areas…north of….Canada!!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have an Explorer and I plan on driving out this weekend in the Aitkin area. Its hard to say how thick the ice is for sure, but I think it will we close. I checked the ice last week and I will be checking before I attempt it tomorrow.

stevedobie
    Central, MN

When everyone starts driving you tend to get more people fishing in the area you want to keep for yoruself. If you don’t need to drive don’t. Just my opinion.

jake_p
    St. Louis Park mn

i was on buffalow saturday, n they were driving full size pick ups out there. i dint think the ice was ready with only nine to ten inches. may be this weekend. but dont be dumb, dont drive out there just cuz some one else is. id check befor venturing out. but thats just me. bigfife where in the aitkin area you goin? i got a cabin up there n ill be upthere for a week starting the day after christmas. just wanderin what the ice is like.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d be extra careful on metro ice. That rain right before the freeze and snow could make for some thick slush. That stuff insulates the lake ice and keeps it from getting thicker in the short term. Not to mention, easy to get stuck in!

-J.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Keep in mind that there has been a great deal of snow up north and rain doewn here. It’s been cold but all the potential water that was sitting on the ice will make it unpredictable for a while. I have reprts from Otter tail county that many lakes had standing water on them after the snow. Be VERY VERY cautious if you head out with a vehicle.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I drove out in the Park Rapids area on several lakes, most of which had 15 inches of ice. Sauk Centre area had about 12 solid inches. Back here on the Horshoe Chain in Central MN they are driving on also but I found 5 inches in one spot and 8 inches in another. These were last night. I won’t be in a hurry to drive on the chain yet.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I was fishing at Buffalo City on pool 5 this last Friday and there were 3 trucks on the ice there . One full size and 2 S-10 types. We drilled holes with a power auger but there was only 7-8 inches where we drilled. Someone had plowed the snow with a 4 wheeler so there was no cover and maybe the ice was thicker there. But in my opinion that was “DUMB”!!!

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

Be CAREFULL!!! 8 trucks just fell through the ice on lake washington by mankato

JonnyMayz
    Hastings,MN

I saw guys driving full size trucks on 8″ yesterday. Balls the size of grapefruits or brains the size of grapenuts? The world will never know. I wouldn’t drive on anything less than 14″ just because there may be patchy spots.

pjwatson05
    Lincoln, NE

Quote:

I have an Explorer and I plan on driving out this weekend in the Aitkin area. Its hard to say how thick the ice is for sure, but I think it will we close. I checked the ice last week and I will be checking before I attempt it tomorrow.

I was out on Big Sandy and Waukanobo this weekend, they both had about 12 inches, seen a few cars & trucks out there.

I was out during the snow storm Sunday and a few guys were even drivin on the ice then.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

most of the mtero lakes still only have bearly 10″ still
    down south on msrion , orchard, etc only have 8″ still
    not safe in my book

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

My father-in-law always said “The only safe ice is in your coke.” But, he’s kind of a p—y!

LMAO…

Bottom line with me…you need to check the ice yourself before you venture out on it!! jmo.

Ted

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.