Best Camers for Night use.

• shaley
    Milford IA

Wife wants a new camera. What if any somewhat work after dark?? Gin clear water for the most part. Do the 825’s work at all after dark, thats what she really wants.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Yes sir they do! The 825 is going to be the best camera for after dark in my opinion. Marcum uses dark water technology, that eliminates the “snow” effect you have when driving in a snow storm with your brights on. They put the lights above the camera-

Here they can explain it better- quote from marcum website

“The super bright, high intensity white LED’s lights are located above the camera (not around the lens) reducing particulate reflection in low light viewing conditions.”

I have used my 825c at night, and love the results!

shaley
    Milford IA

Luke, what kind of distance cam I expect on West Okoboji in the winter?? 10-15′??

scottsteil
    Central MN

The 820 may be a better option in low light. It takes pretty good light to get a color picture. If you routinely use your camera after dark, in stained water or in low light conditions, I would consider getting the 820 over the 825C.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I thought you would never ask!

I’m going to get into some pretty in-depth (pun) brand bashing in this post…so keep the kids away!

I had a MARCUM 500 for 3 maybe four years. Once the sun went down and the lights came on…put the camera away…it was almost worthless unless the fish/bait was within inches of the camera…looked like snow. I had the regular LED’s, the Infrared LED’s and some other LEDs. Didn’t matter…pack the camera up it was a wast of time.

Whom ever thought of the light design on the new 825c’s and I’m sure the black and white model (although I haven’t actually used the b&w) is a genius!

What Marcum did is move the lights from around the camera and placed the on the top. I’m not an engineer by any means…all I know is that it work and works fantastically.

I’ve posted the video from last year before…but it shows how the camera works in the dark. This was just below the dam on Pool 4, somewhere between 50 and 65 feet of water.

Hey! It’s dark down there!
    The video starts out in about 15 feet of water on P4 about half way between the dam and the Y.

You’ll be able to tell when it goes deep.

The TWO led’s on these cameras work better than the Marcum 500 with 8 (?) There are four brightness levels. Next time your around the 825c, check them out. At the highest level it hurts your eyes.

It is no doubt THE best lighting system in the underwater camera market I’ve seen.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

To be honest, I can’t tell you, I will let some of the guys that use them in clearer water tell you distance range- My 825C has done exactly what I need it to on the ice!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

..and I would agree with Scott as the color camera turns into b&w as you can see..in the darkness.

shaley
    Milford IA

So your saying on a lake with 15′ to 20’+ daytime visibility it will work well at night?? Thats what i want to hear, tell me it’s so.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

Luke, what kind of distance cam I expect on West Okoboji in the winter?? 10-15′??

I have fished it before when I lived in Iowa, but I have never used the new cameras on it. They have come a long way now with the monitors, which is really what is making todays underwater cameras so much better. Being West Okoboji is what I would consider a clear lake you will be able to see 8-12 ft depending on the snow cover. In low light you will start to lose picture with the 825C and will have a better picture with the 820. During the day it is hard to beat the 825C no matter what lake you are fishing.

The one thing you never know is how much suspended particle is in a lake. If you have a lot of suspended particle, you will lose viewing distance fast. In addition, it will get worse as it gets later in the day. I fished a lake this weekend that is normally crystal clear but still had a lot of suspended particles in the water and that cuts your viewing distance significantly.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

So your saying on a lake with 15′ to 20’+ daytime visibility it will work well at night?? Thats what i want to hear, tell me it’s so.

Since I haven’t fished the lake…I’m not ready to say anything with 100% certainty…what I can say is that the two Marcums with the “Manta” camera’s will work better in low light than any camera on the market.

I plan on fishing White Bear Lake this Saturday for the Marcum Challenge…and I’ll be there after dark…with the video camera.

shaley
    Milford IA

Ok who wants to bring their 825 to West O?? LOL

We want the color to find greener veg while perching or after gills during the day but also want something to be able to use after dark for eyes also. I’ll be totaly happy only being able to see 5-10′ at night. Wife doen’t use a flasher and not realy wanting to try one and at night shes at a real disadvantage.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I hear the sound of crickets.

I would love a road trip…although I have two bosses…one called the FW that have triumph my wishes.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Couple things about cameras. You don’t want to use them for fishing walleye and two you don’t want to use them for fishing walleye after dark. Walleye will show up but tend not to bite. It is very hard to get a walleye to bite on camera, even with the camera over 8ft away. I have accomplished it several times, but let me tell you…it is tough.

As for finding weeds during the day, the 825C will work great for that

big_g
    Isle, MN

I agree with Scott… Walleyes are not camera fans… I see alot of walleyes on my camera, but have yet to see one take my bait…

big G

shaley
    Milford IA

We have caught several eyes with the camera down but during the day. I can see the point though off them being shy. I don’t think any we have hooked we saw on the camera. I do know they seem to be less shy with the camera cable weeds. Looks like she will have to learn how to use a flasher

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I want the camera that plays the Blues like the one in the video!

Did anyone else get hungry for Famous Daves after watching that????

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

AAhhhaa! A new market!

Marcum iPod!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Shaley, check out the 24 second marker on this video…it should give you an idea of how a Marcum will work in your lake.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.