Lost 1st rod and reel.

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I was fishing on Prior on Sun. Morning and decided to go check on how my buddy was doing. I opened the bail on my Minnow and bobber set up and Reeled the Gill Pill and euro larva line up about 1/2 way and layed the rod and reel on the ice. When I returned just a minute or so later I got back in and reached down to lower the Pill back down, and you guessed it. Rod and Reel gone. I know of others who this has happened to but this is the 1st time it has ever happened to me. My guess is that when I reeled the pill up it must have caught a bass or northerns attention and as soon as I walked out it slammed it. Oh well I was wanting to buy a new panfish set up anyway. I might as well bite the bullet and buy one of those St. croix that I’ve been holding off on buying. I guess you could say the fish are doing what they can to stimulate the economy. You can bet that if I get one of those St. Croix’s that I won’t be leaving the house again with the bait still in the water

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Congrats on being able to buy a new set up!

eisert

Same thing happened to a buddy a few years ago, except with his very first jig stick. But he ended up seeing it under the ice a shory time later, drilled a hole, pulled up the pole with a nice sunfish attached. I know, I know, sounds like a load, but I swear it happened.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Here is what happened last week after some work to hook the rod. This was my buddy and so I grabbed the video camera.

Big Catch!

eisert

That was awesome.

greg_r
    Woodbury MN

Been there,done that! sooner or later it’s gonna HAPPEN. so if anyone hooks a G-Loomis MBR-941C and a Daiwa SG-27LCW full of leadcore and a firetiger #7 shadrap in Moline PM me for my address and shipping costs. Yes it was my co-anglers fault. Would it be a wash for catching a Fenwick HMG,Shimano Symetre and a nice walleye a few years back off the Boot???

gwastlick
    Viola

Last year on Easter Sunday which also was the last time fishing for the year my friend Pete and I were fishing Desoto Bay. Looking for those jumbo perch. We got pretty tanked the night before so he didn’t feel well . He had his pole on his pail and came over to see me hears a noise looks back to see the end of his pole disappear into the abyss. Ironic thing is that was his only bite that day.

skunkedagain

Below L&D #18 is a St. Croix Avid and St. Croix spinning reel of mine. Laid the rod across the bow while I reached down to unhook a sauger-the sauger unhooked himself, and the rod tipped to the butt end where it was hanging over the side. PLOP!! Broke my heart!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ll be picking up a St Croix ice rod this weekend from Everts for a co worker.

Like they say…”With every door that closes, a new one opens!”

Congrats on your new St Croix!

mrwalleye
    MN

I had the same thing happen a few years ago.
    I set the rod down to get the lantern out and hear a plop
    I thought it was gone for good the next thing I see is my tip-up flag pop up about 10 yards away. and when I pulled in the fish it had my jigging spoon in its mouth

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Thanks all. It makes me feel much better knowing that I’m not the only fool who this has happened to. I hate it when I have to go shopping for more fishing equipment

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.