Gill pills and diamond jigs

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I can not locate much Custom jig and spin baits in my area ( South Metro ) I went to both gander and Mills last night. I’m not sure if it the ecomomy or what but both places stock looked like nothing more than the holdover stock from the end of last season. I may have to place a online order. My ? is what size do most of you fish? The 16 and 14 look really small to me. I know the trend is the micro but these just seem way to small to me. Most of the time I fish direct to the lure using a noodle type of rod. I know I know I really need to get me a St. Croix with a spring bobber but the noodle rod has worked well for me for many years and I really like to catch fish on it. I’d think a decent sized sunfish or crappie would swallow a size 16 jig so bad that I’d spend all day digging hooks out of the gullet of fish. just wanted all of your thougts on the best sizes and color to order. I’ve used and like both the clown and firetiger colors. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Best of luck to you this season!!!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I almost exclusively fish with the largest size pill and diamond jigs. Yesterday I slaughtered large gills on a firetiger pill. Clown, frog, white/black, heck they are all my favorite colors!

I rarely use anything smaller than a 12-

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Fleet Farm in Oakdale has a great selection of CJ&S tackle.

Try the one in Lakeville.

Edit: I overlooked the fact that you went to Mills.

Oakdale was stocked.

jhalfen

The Gander in Eau Claire has a ton of CJS stuff…Gill Pills, Diamond Jigs, Demon Jigs….you name it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Im surprise to hear of the lack of product those places have. Both the Gander and fleet farm in Blaine are very well stocked.

Last year I fished the larger size diamond jigs and pills. the fish had no problem eating them. Sunday i tried some of the smaller gil pills. 1st thought was that they where going to take a long time to get down the hole due to the lack of weight. Surprising they dropped pretty fast. No problem in the 11′ I was fishing. I still have my doubts that this weight size would work well in very deep water. The smaller sizes do have a very small eyelet to tie onto. For you guys that are a little challenged in the eye this may cause a problem. The smaller sizes didnt have any problems catching fish. Not sure if you need to go that small as just about any bait you put on them is going to be way bigger than the jig. Im sure there will be a day the fish will want the smaller ones and nothing else so a few are staying in my box.

For colors I like firetiger, glow brite and glow red. If you are ordering maybe try a shrimpo or 2. These are great for crappies and no bait is needed.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was in Sportsmans Warehouse in east Woodbury a week ago and they were stocked nicely.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I just called Prior lake bait and tackle and they said they just received a shipment. I have to stop over there tonight to get some baits so hopefully they have a decent supply of the larger sizes so I don’t have to wait for a online order to arrive. Thanks for all of you input!!!!

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

I fish the gill pills almost exclusively when fishing for pannies. get the biggest ones, #10s.

glow red has been the most productive for me. the nickel plated one is my favorite for daytime fishing.

get them online, for some reason gander cant stock the full line of colors and zero #10s (at least not in LV or EP or Woodbury). i dont know what their deal is…

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

I like the 12s, but I keep all of them in my tacklebox. The smaller ones fall a little too slow for me, since a lot of my fishing is in 20+fow. Great jigs, and Ive had good luck ordering straight from their website.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

so I don’t have to wait for a online order to arrive.

The wait would not be long…..
    My last order was placed on a Sunday night online….
    Had my jigs by Thursday morning!!
    GREAT service

whiskeyandwater
    ????

If you make it out to woodbury Sportsmans wearhouse, and Gander have a good selection of Gill pills, and diamonds.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I just had to order on line myself because of no stock of ice fishing gear of any kind at many stores around me. Cabelas Prairi has about nothing at all this year if you can even find where they are hiding the little they do have. In the archery department that they moved behind the bargan cave if your looking. Mills fleet farm in Mason City Iowa has no ratfinks at all just a lot of shrimpos. Whats going on with these places? Don’t think anybody can aford to fish anymore or what? A bad economy doesn’t mean I don’t need ice jigs. Maybe I’m just noticing the lack of ice fishing equipment in my area because my favorite bait shop got flooded this year and is now out of bussiness permanently.

ron_w_basser2
    North Central, MN

Just a comment on size, I agree with Luke. The biggest ones are the ones I use. Actually if they made one size even bigger I would try them.

steve-lujan
    prior lake,mn

being in savage i would try prior lake bait & takle.I don’t know if they have custom jig&spin’s.But they have some of my best jigs that you can’t get anywhere else.Ken’s famous jigs in the perch color.

icejunkie

I get them online as it is way easier than trying to find what I want in the stores. The diamond jigs with a waxie have been awesome for me so far on the crappies. Ive not found much of a bluegill bit yet but I haven’t been hitting my gill lake with how good the crappies have been so far.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.