Marcum LX-5 pros/cons?

• dgoodman
    Pool 4

I am thinking about getting a lx-5 this winter. I have a fl-8. Can someone that has a lx-5 tell me some pros and cons. I talked to the marcum guys at the ice show and they went over the unit. It puts my fl-8 to shame.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

From my experince the definition is the best thing, there are lots of things that make it nice, It seems to me fish are a little “blob” like on a vex, where as on a marcum they are a nice clean solid line, I was also able to mark fish on the marcum the vex didn’t see, fish tight to the bottom.

Almost like going from analog tv to hd, you see pretty much see the same picture, it’s just a lot better.

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

My personal opinion would be to check into a Vexilar FL-18 or FL-20. Both units offer some great features that is not on your FL-8. Then ask yourself how reliable that FL-8 has been to you. My guess is you have had little to no problem with that unit.
    I have owned other brands but I will use nothing but a Vexilar because they have proven their reliability to me many times over. That to me is worth more then bells and whistles.

shaley
    Milford IA

Having been a former Vex owner I can say the Marcum is a far better unit. Better target seperation (less than 1″ in SFL or Zoom) Ability to zoom anywhere from bottom to top. Super Fine Line, dual transducer from the box not as an add on assc. The charging system that you just plug in and forget about till your ready to fish again. Quieter running machine. No bleeding colors, true 3 color display not a 2 color blending to make 3.Sharp crisp image. 2500 watts of power for better and sharper signal return and better interference rejection. I don’t miss my Vexilars and they are a good unit just not as good as the Marcum IMO.

Only drawback I see is I wish there was a way to dim the brighness may be the only improvement.

big-bird
    Prescott, WI

what is the warranty, I was looking on their website and could’nt find any info, also If I buy a used one will it carry over?
    Thanks Big Bird

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

It puts my fl-8 to shame

What more do you need?

Shaley, when I want to dim the brightness, I just take it out in the sun.

December 20th…White Bear Lake>>>>

Come out and compare for yourself. Don’t listen to me or these other guys…even the guys that are telling you Marcums better…see that for your self..on the ice…with your own eyes. You turn the knobs on a Vex/Hummingbird and of course Marcum.

It’s about time a flasher company put their money where their mouth is.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

what is the warranty, I was looking on their website and could’nt find any info, also If I buy a used one will it carry over?
    Thanks Big Bird

2 years on new.

Marcum offered a 1 year warranty. (Pre Nature Vision)

I think the two year was brought about by the competition.

I don’t think the warranty is transferrable on a used unit.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Big Bird

2 years on new.

Marcum offered a 1 year warranty. (Pre Nature Vision)

I think the two year was brought about by the competition.

I don’t think the warranty is transferrable on a used unit.

Typically they (Nature Vision) will fix the unit for a $50 fee on units out of warranty. I am sure the fee is the starting point depending on the problem.

shaley
    Milford IA

Quote:

Shaley, when I want to dim the brightness, I just take it out in the sun.

That would work if you can make the sun shine at night

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The SFL or Super Fine Line mode. I fish in an Otter with my boys, and can use 1 flasher for three lines. I can tell each of our lures from each other, and when fish come in you can still tell who is getting the follow. This feature REALLY separates Marcum from the others in my opinion. I find I can get by with less wattage on a Marcum than I could on Vexilars when I had them.
    When you pay this kind of money for a flasher, why not get your money’s worth??

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Typically at night you’re using a headlamp, lantern, or other portable lighting device, virtually eliminating the need for a dimmer anyway. Personally, I use a headlamp. When I look at my flasher, the whole area is illuminated and doesn’t cause me any eye strain.

Joel

timmy

I went with the LX-3 over the LX-5 for one simple reason……The size of the transducer. I hate that big transducer of the LX-5 hanging in the hole. I would have preferred the 5 over the 3, but the size of that thing was a deal breaker. I upgraded from an old (10 yrs or so) vex FL-8. I have seen no real advantages other than it is nicer to look at. Performance-wise, I would not feel slighted by having to revert to the old vex.

Tim

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

dgoodman,
    Congrats on taking the next step in flashers. I went from an FL-8 to an FL-18 and now I have an LX-5. The main reason I switched is because I fish suspended crappies alot so the adjustable zoom window feature on the LX-5 is very handy. My FL-18 only had a bottom zoom. The other thing I like on the LX-5 is the compact design and the carrying case. I’m probably harder on it then I should be, but I haven’t broken it yet. The Marcum event on White Bear sounds like a great opportunity to check out all the units.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

I had an FL-8 which got me some experience, then for a year I had an LX-3 and really liked that unit but wanted the bells and whistles of the LX-5 so I have had one of them now for a year and absolutely love it. The IR is better and I love the SFL and narrow band features. There’s no comparison between the FL-8 and LX-5. I don’t think you’ll be disapointed if you buy an LX-5.

cdn
    West Central, MN

There are no cons to the best flasher on the market! The LX-5 has the most power, finest seperation at 3/4″, best overall package and the performance is incredible.

I went from an FL-8 to the LX-3, and I have had the LX-5 for three years on the ice and in the boat. I’ve fished with friend’s who have other brands and they cannot deny the detail that Marcum provides is down right fine. My poor FL-8 collects a lot of dust, but it’s still a very reliable unit.

I would urge all people in the market for a new flasher to attend the Marcum Challenge to see for yourself. I’m sure they’ll have all sorts of flashers to run against.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.