St. Croix Legend Ice Rod

• walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

This may have been answered in the past, but what do you do when you are done fishing or traveling as far as the spring bobber goes. The directions say to place the hook on the hook keeper and reel up so you have a slight bend in the rod. Wouldn’t this be very hard on the spring bobber? Let me know what you guys do!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

They bounce back. Bend away. Great rods.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I place the hook in the keeper and reel the slack out of the line till the spring bends over while moving around fishing or from home to the ice and back home. The spring will be fine

Once I am home I remove the hook for the keeper to remove all tension from the rod and then loosen the drag on my reel as I do with all my reels year round.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

bend em right over!

You’ll never reach the yeild point of the material by just snugging up the line

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

The instructions say to push the spring bobber forward (out) through the grommet… then hook to the hook keeper and reel in until snug.

Because the spring bobber is pushed out, it shouldn’t affect it much. Some prefer not to do this. I haven’t had any issues with my spring bobbers with this method.

On a side note… if by for some reason the spring bobber hits something or gets seriously bent out of shape, you can pick up replacements pretty cheap (around 7 bucks).

showags
    Hastings, MN

I just push/pull the spring out foward, reverse it, and put it in the gromet backwards. This way it remains parallel with the rod and only bends slightly when taking up the slack to store. This is all done while leaving the line threaded through the end. Have had no problems and stores easy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.