Auger Recoil Troubles

• schwe190
    Duluth, MN

Anybody know an easy way to reinstall a recoil spring in a Strikemaster auger? My starter rope broke and when I was replacing it the spring exploded out on me and I’m having trouble winding it up and fitting it back into the auger housing. It’s driving me crazy not being able to get out onto the ice!

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

You can coil it back up very carefully and take some bread bag twister ties and wrap them around it. Then put it in place. Cut the twister ties off and you should be good to go. Or….buy a new spring and put it in. They come pre-Wrapped. Read the instruction sheet so it is not put in upside down.

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

I have also used the twist tie trick to help. It is also helpful to have another person to hold it in place while you are cutting and tidying everything up, with or without the twist ties. The was a recurring problem for me early on. I put some extra rope on and that seemed to help. Also remember, you do not need to pull the rope completely out to start these augers, like the old ice augers. Don’t pull the rope across your body. Stand the auger in front of you and pull the rope to your chest without turning your body. This should be a very short pull and all that is needed.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

For those of us not as mechanically inclined as Jeff, and near Big Lake, just take it to Strikemaster HQ. They charge you a couple bucks, throw in some goodies, and you leave with a smile on your face. Also a great excuse to get everything from an extra collar bolt to a new set of backup blades.

I’ve done it myself with varied success, hence the suggestion. Growing up on a farm, I learned to try bailing twine first, then wire, and if that didn’t work, hit it with a big hammer.

Joel

schwe190
    Duluth, MN

Thanks for the suggestions guys, i’ll give em a try but i’ll probably just end up taking it to Big Lake. I’ll be back that way for Christmas anyways. Good to hear that it will only be a few bucks. I called a couple of small engine shops around Duluth and they said $35-40 to repair it. Thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.