finding walleye question

• eye_hunter

how do you find walleyes in a lake that is just a big round bowl, it gradually gets deep, and than has a deep flat bottom. no weed growth of any kind except for maybe the shore?

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

This most definitely makes it more difficult. Few good walleye lakes that I know of have these characteristics, unless altered by stocking efforts or in parts of the country like the Dakotas where these basin-type lakes are loaded with shrimp or other good forage.

In lakes such as these, what minute variations in bottom content, depth, and slope there are, play a very big role in locations. Because features are at a premium, even the smallest features tend to hold fish. A 1 foot gravel spine in the mud that barely registers on sonar is easily seen with an underwater camera. I’d be searching this lake late fall via boat with electronics, esp. an underwater camera, to cover the most water in finding productive spots for the upcoming winter.

Doing your homework also pays. Many of the older DNR surveys contain bottom content maps, often detailing the shape and size of the very substrate changes you’re looking for. Also, any inlets or other moving water features (be careful!) may help to concentrate baitfish.

Good luck!

Joel

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

In my experience; bowl lakes with good walleye numbers often require some night fishing. Bowl lakes tend to have wandering pockets of forage which are often shallow at night. The easy part of that is that These walleyes are special in that they are master predators of the shallows. If it were me, I’d start out tip-up fishing with a few people ( that way you can cover a large area) at night using mercury lights. I’d hate to discourage you from daylight fishing but a bowl lake is often a difficult lake for walleye ambush, hence they have to use they’re superior night hunting skills.
    If you could find a large green vegetation site on the lake that would be a better chance during the day

eye_hunter

speking of night fishing with tip ups, does anybody know how to put lights on tip up. I remember it was posted here some years ago on how to make them.

mrwalleye
    MN

save yourself the hassle and buy the HT Enterprises ones with the tilt switch they are only about $10 and last a long time

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

save yourself the hassle and buy the HT Enterprises ones with the tilt switch they are only about $10 and last a long time

These are the mercury lights. They use mercury to create a circuit when the light is tipped vertically

eye_hunter

where do i find these, i tried typing HT enterprise lights online and nothing came up but a whole bunch of fishing gear…

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Boy you got me ,….I can’t find them either. I purchased a whole bunch of them years go as I use them on my planar boards as well

Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

Quote:

I use them on my planar boards as well

Man, that’s a good idea!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I guess the Ice staff knows a few tricks for the soft water

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Let’s not get carried away. Guys who pull planer boards at night are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Some day you’ll ride in my boat

I’ll learn ya

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Fishing these lakes can be a real challenge. I’ve found many times eyes are just simply roaming the pot hole lakes of NE SD. We setup a ton of tips and covered water. It was pretty cool watching the camera when a “herd” would come in. Then 3-4 flags would take off.

Even the slightest structure can be key in these lakes, especially come feeding time when the walleyes are looking to push their prey to good ambush spots.

eye_hunter

i’m guessing that if you find the forage you will find the herds. is that the trick to these lakes…

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

right on

mjnl
    Rochester, MN

I use these tip-up lights and work great. They are Artic Fire made by Frabill. tip ups

eye_hunter

i was browsing around and notice that there were window alarms that were used on tip ups. I personally thought that was a great idea, but does anybody have any experience with putting window alarms on tip ups. does the sound traveld down the string and scare the fish away.

mrwalleye
    MN

you seriously need to make a trip to Fleet Farm they have the lights and the alarms and lots of other cool stuff
    I can’t go in there without spending $100

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

As a general rule, best advice is to stay away from these mercury tip-up lights near lakes/rivers.

The dangerous health effects from mercury contaminated waters and the fish in these waters is well-documented. Just 10-15 years ago, mercury-devices like these and thermometers, along with batteries and paint were the largest contributors to mercury in the environment. Since then, battery and paint mfrs. have moved away from using mercury as an additive.

The scariest part of mercury is that it’s toxic in incredibly small amounts. It takes only one teaspoon of mercury to contaminate a 1,750 acre lake to the point of where fish are unsafe to eat.

This is probably the reason they can’t be found anymore.

Joel

Whiskerkev
    Madison

The mercury in lakes comes mainly from coal fired power plants. Using a little light switch isn’t the slightest bit dangerous on a frozen lake. When fishing a bowl shaped lake, you keep in mind the same principles for finding walleyes on any other body. Find the edges and you’ll find fish. The edge on bowl shape is most often the weed edge or the edge where the ice meets the bottom. Fish shallow at evening and into the night with your bait just below the ice. I’ve had nights with 30 flags and the lights popping off is pretty cool to behold.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

The mercury in lakes comes mainly from coal fired power plants. Using a little light switch isn’t the slightest bit dangerous on a frozen lake. When fishing a bowl shaped lake, you keep in mind the same principles for finding walleyes on any other body. Find the edges and you’ll find fish. The edge on bowl shape is most often the weed edge or the edge where the ice meets the bottom. Fish shallow at evening and into the night with your bait just below the ice. I’ve had nights with 30 flags and the lights popping off is pretty cool to behold.

Same as the old mercury thermometers. Perfectly safe until they break.

Joel

Whiskerkev
    Madison

To each their own. I won’t be turning mine in anytime soon. I’ve had 15 of them for going on 10 years now and haven’t had one break yet. Until I find something that works better, and I’ve seen nothing come close to working better.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Kev – Sounds like you’re careful with them, glad they work well for you.

Joel

mrwalleye
    MN

the new ones do not have mercury anymore
    if you shake them you can hear the small BB that replaces the Mercury.

by the way dont let the new ones fall in the minnow bucket they rust bad and dont work

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.