Pulling the shack

• Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Went fishing this morning and figured I better bring the shack…duhhh….It was -3…..Slow and small was the word BUT…….
    Ran into a problem that was not cold related.
    The problem was the weight of my shack….
    I have a condition that limits the weight that I can lift and carry,but now it’s giving me trouble pulling the sled.
    Somewhere in the past I remember seeing a member or 2 using a harness system so you could pull with the body…
    Where can a guy get one of these??
    It’s either that or buying a 4 wheeler….And Mom would REALLY not like that

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Bret Clark, Mike C, JP Mason, and myself all use a harness to pull our shacks, well I used to but I cannot find my harness anywhere

Member JP Mason makes these and they are excellent for pulling shacks when on foot. Try sending him a PM to see if he has any left or is willing to make a few more up

eisert

Would a deer drag harness work? They only cost about 10 or 15 bucks at fleet farm.

birddog
    Mn.

Drag harness

There are other brands as well…we have a “Allen” brand almost identical to this but must be 20 years old! It’s pulled many deer out the woods! It’s still in great shape. It helps a TON.

BIRDDOG

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Would a deer drag harness work? They only cost about 10 or 15 bucks at fleet farm.

Or how about a deer stand harness?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Thanks Mike….
    I knew Bret had one…seen him using one last year @ the dam
    I’ll PM JP this evening…if he doesn’t have one I’ll check out the deer dragging harness the others suggested….
    Thanks guys

This seemingly small matter could really limit my ice fishing and the help is appreciated….

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

This seemingly small matter could really limit my ice fishing and the help is appreciated….

Then it isn’t a small matter

JP is the go to guy

walleyejigger05

a saftey harness for a tree stand would work to id think?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

a saftey harness for a tree stand would work to id think?

I still have one of my full body harness’s and I am going to give it a shot and see how it works

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

Thanks Bret!

Mudshark and I have pasted PM and I am in the process of making him one. I hope he will be as happy as you and Amwats

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

Wats, Let me know if you need another one, I could make one for you along with the one for Mudshark. Let me know

nater3
    Webster City, IA

Could you post a picture of one of the harnesses you have made? How much do you charge to make one?
    Nate

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

I will need to take a photo. Mr. Clark and Amwats took some photo’s last year, but I don’t have one. I hope to get out with these guys soon, and I am sure I will be able to get one of them to model for me.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Could I get on the list??

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

AQUAJOE PM sent to ya

JP Mason

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Just an update here………
    Friday JP gave me the harness and Saturday afternoon went out and tried it out and it worked GREAT!…..
    Thanks bud
    This small item will be a big help.
    This is STILL one the best sites around…..where members help members…

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Good to hear you are back in business

That JP Mason is an alright guy….just don’t let him know I said that

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Speaking of the harnesses, JP hand delivered me a new one on Friday because I had apparently lost mine

Then this morning Murphy’s Law struck me, I found the original and wouldn’t you know, it was right where I left it

Oh well, now I have 2

I will tell you though, pulling a shack with the harness and without it is like night and day. Pulling a shack with just the rope, angles your body at an odd angle and wears on your shoulder, back, and arms especially in snow.

With the harness, all the weight is centered behind you and on the mid to lower back. You have both hands free and no torquing of the body. Basically, all you are using is leg power which is one of the strongest muscles in the body

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

Wats,
    If you don’t need or want the second harness, I will take it back, no problem. I had a request for another one the other day walking off the ice and I am sure I can find someone that may want it.

JP Mason

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

Mudshark,
    Glad to hear it worked out for you. I know it help me with getting around.

Jp Mason

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Jp,

If you aren’t sick of making them, do you think you could make one for me? More than willing to compensate you.

Just let me know. Your harness really looks like it make pulling a sled a lot easier.

Thanks,

FDR

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

You bet I can, have a couple right now. I will send you a pm and we can coordinate pick/drop off point.

JP Mason

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Quote:

You have both hands free and no torquing of the body.

That leaves one hand for your spud and the other to carry your These are a great invention by JP Thanks Buddy.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

You might be able to start a business!!

I’ll buy one from you too if you have another one laying around

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

You bet I can, have a couple right now. I will send you a pm and we can coordinate pick/drop off point.

JP Mason

Thanks a lot JP!

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

Cade,
    I will take a look and see what I have made up, if they are all spoken for, I will get more made up.

I will send a PM when I get home tonight and look at what I have on the shlef.

JP Mason

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

JP-bone mover is going to take the extra one I have I will meet up with you on the ice to settle up

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.