Ice Sports Show somewhat dissapointing

• fishinfool
    mn

Went to the ice sports show today. I was after 4 items today in hopes of at least a sale price.

We’ll dissapointed comes to mind. I found that Menards had Buddy and Big Buddy heaters for $59 and $98 which was substantially cheaper than the show especially for the Big Buddy.

I could not find two items that I needed. A travel cover for a green Eskimo–the company was there but none on the truck…HUH

Not even a deal on the new nylon socks for rods – 2 for $9.99 SAME PRICE AS FLEET FARM YESTERDAY

Maybe the great deals are on expensive stuff only, but I dont think I will be trying again.

FISHINFOOL

if i include gas and cost to get in and parking cost, i would say I lost out about $25.00 today on what should be a savings day

birddog
    Mn.

The buddy heaters…talk to the guys at the Reeds booth tell them the price difference. They would have matched it, if not better. I’ve been going to the show for a few years now…they always price match, throw things in for free and cut prices at the till.

It’s not always cheap, cheap on standard equipment. But generally the larger items are at a good price. It’s about checking out what’s new, the nice gear and equipment, hanging and BSing with those with the same passion.

BIRDDOG

jhalfen

Sorry to hear that you weren’t happy with your experience.

I have worked with a handful of vendors at sports shows over the past few years. One of the things that struck me is the SIGNIFICANT fees those vendors have to pay just to have a booth. Many, and I mean many, of the vendors you saw today will lose $$ (or perhaps barely break even) just for the opportunity to have their products on display. If they discounted items 20%….30%….40%….they wouldn’t recoup enough of their own significant expenses to even bother with the hassle….and then the show and the opportunities it DOES present disappear.

I look at sports shows as an opportunity to see all of the newest and best prodcuts under one roof. To turn all the knobs, sort through all the jig colors, meet the pro staff, ask questions of the designers and engineers behind the products. I go to sports shows to learn something new in a setting that is dedicated to my passion. If I’m looking to save $$, the sports shows are rarely the place to do so (unless I’m willing to wait for the last few hours, when vendors are looking to unload product rather than loading it back into their vehicles).

minnesotsakid
    ROCHESTER

Hey I thought the show was great… Lots of new gadgets for the ice this year. Was very impressed and cant wait for next year,

WeFish
    Fort Atkinson, WI USA

Be glad that you have a Ice fishing Expo, we used to have one here in Wisconsin (Madison) but it did’nt pan out. As for being able to buy at these sporting events which was sure nice, our bait shops and sporting stores were losing the sale which have alot more invested.

WeFish

pjwatson05
    Lincoln, NE

Quote:

Sorry to hear that you weren’t happy with your experience.

I have worked with a handful of vendors at sports shows over the past few years. One of the things that struck me is the SIGNIFICANT fees those vendors have to pay just to have a booth. Many, and I mean many, of the vendors you saw today will lose $$ (or perhaps barely break even) just for the opportunity to have their products on display. If they discounted items 20%….30%….40%….they wouldn’t recoup enough of their own significant expenses to even bother with the hassle….and then the show and the opportunities it DOES present disappear.

I look at sports shows as an opportunity to see all of the newest and best prodcuts under one roof. To turn all the knobs, sort through all the jig colors, meet the pro staff, ask questions of the designers and engineers behind the products. I go to sports shows to learn something new in a setting that is dedicated to my passion. If I’m looking to save $$, the sports shows are rarely the place to do so (unless I’m willing to wait for the last few hours, when vendors are looking to unload product rather than loading it back into their vehicles).

I couldn’t of said it better, I do the booth for a Archery manufacture for all the Deer & Turkey Classic’s (IL,MN,WI, OH & MI) and the fees for those booths are astronomical, most of the guys working the booths are probably prostaffers and get a very small percentage of what is sold and probably won’t even cover their travel costs. It’s all about seeing what is on the market and being able to network with new people, truly a great experience.

beckzl32

i thought it was great i did not buy big item and i got about 250 dollars worth of gear for 90 dollars you just had to wheel and deal alot and buy multiple items form 1 vender and they would cut prices

jbob
    Hastings, MN

Check out the Buddy heaters, for that price it seams that these are the Reconditioned ones that they are selling. I worked at Cabela’s ice show Saturday and that is what they were selling the reconditioned units for.

da-z-man

Lowes EVERY year at end of winter has Buddy heaters (Big, Buddy and Tough Buddies) all 50% off.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

Just like buying gift cards for Xmas gifts,They seem to be worth more when the after christmas sales start.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I took my wife and daughter down there to look around. My daughter enjoyed the fish houses, 4 wheelers and wilcraft demo. Too me, the strikemaster suit was a great deal at 150 bucks for the bibs and coat so it came home with us. There were also some good deals on rods and tackle. I’d say it was worth the trip for my family.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I’ll have to say the show was a big success. Myself and Calvin Svihel were able to put some names to faces for those who stopped by the MarCum boothe over the weekend.
    Being there Friday through Sunday I was able to witness some really good deals on the flashers. Nearly $120 off MSRP on MarCums lineup. Having those stores in the same room really creates some competition. Nice to meet those of you who stopped by!

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I thought it was a great show.

It was great hearing your information on the LX-5 Matt, didn’t realize it was you until I saw your post and finally put your name on your badge together or else I would have introduced myself. I couldn’t believe that one of the shops there was selling an LX-5 for under $500 for a brand new unit. I can’t wait to get my LX-5 out on the ice.

I picked up an auger extension, lure lightning, a clam base camp for a heck of a deal/steal , and a few odds and ends, and 2 Tica 500 reels for $15ea. Then not to forget the Ice Fishing Bikini Team Calendar and getting the ladies that were there to sign it!

russjudy
    Minnesota

Judy and I were hired to go to the Distributor and retail show in Vagas (SP)– to sell and demo the inventors item, buy the time he gave away demo products, hotel rooms, rented the 8×10 space, air flight- offdah! over $6000 bucko’s

his first years profit

were for hire, the boss said we got great reviews from customers every day giving demo’s and explaining the item

it was the Bite Buzzer alarm

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I had not been there for a couple years, was looking to purchase a larger flip house sometime this year. For me it was priceless to be able to sit in each house and see for myself the different tubs, seats, and the most important, the frame. I had 3 in mind going into it, still the same three, but leaning more toward the new Frabill. Good to meet a few of the regulars from the site. Too bad the bikini team didn’t look as good in person as the touched up calandar! Was hoping to get some more info on the new Hummingbirds flashers, but will wait to get my info from here, not some salesperson.

schlankki
    otsego, mn

Parking and a long walk in the snow $10
    Entry into the show $8
    Two beers and a shot of Christian Brothers $12
    Watching my friend run around trying to get the ladys auto on his calender and pointing out who was in the playboy big ten issue PRICELESS
    I had a blast talking to Dave Genz and Bro and everyone else Great Show

desperado

Quote:

Watching my friend run around trying to get the ladys auto on his calender and pointing out who was in the playboy big ten issue PRICELESS

That’s pretty hilarious, since the girl who was in the Playboy Big Ten edition wasn’t at the ice show.
    She was on the Bikini Ice Team, but she’s currently in Australia.

desperado

Quote:

My daughter enjoyed the fish houses, 4 wheelers and wilcraft demo.

Fish ’em (and EVERYONE else too for that matter)
    When you want to actually go spend a few hours ON THE ICE in a WILCRAFT, just PM me here. We’ll arrange a time to meet on the ice. I’ll even give a brief instruction and then let you do the driving if ya want.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

hey desperado , thanks for the expierence with the wilcraft on marion lake yesterday i had a great time .
    people if you wanna see a great machine and fish with a good person . pm deperado he,ll show you all about the wilcraft machine . it is sweet

cc aka repoman

willowcat
    Lake City, MN

As far as a travel cover for a green Eskimo, You may want to try the TC store In Cumberland, WI. They also have a on line store on E-bay. They are an Eskimo dealer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.