Real weeds

• sink-her
    Kasson MN

Was wondering if anybody has used real weeds and if they are worth the money,And how many it takes to be effective. I will be mainly pan fishing some walleye here and their. Thankyou

big_g
    Isle, MN

I won a 2 pack at the GTG a couple years back, they are effective for me. Drop em down and watch the pannies congregate Oh yeah, the northerns like em too !!!

big G

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sink-her,

Check out the videos in the Video Forum.

They are a fish magnet…but as in two years ago on Winni they brought in pike…and the season was closed.

My experience went like this. Late winter…panfish were biting…I dropped my weeds down and expected to catch fish after fish….but nothing…not a bite while everyone around me were catching sunnies and crappies. This was the first time I could actually tell they made fishing worse by using the Weeds.

I moved away from the weeds and started catching again. What the??? Finally, I dropped my camera down the hole and there were no less than 4 pike looking back at me! Hence…no panfish.

One of the technics for using Reel Weeds is to place tip ups about 20 feet away from the Weeds. Those toothy critters will come in to check out the Weeds and your sucker will be there for the meal….assuming the season is open.

Here’s a link to an old post. My first experiance with Reel Weeds…and I’ve had many more since just like this one.

One thing to keep in mind..because there are so many variables they should be considered as another tool.

I do know the guys on Upper Red Lake use them to hold the crappies longer as they moved through…

Btw…they don’t do a thing for catfish.

My first Reel Weed experiance <<<

big_g
    Isle, MN

Btw…they don’t do a thing for catfish.

Right there is a reason to get em….

big G

beckzl32

may have to pick some up but if they don’t work for catfish i might have to re think although crappies are almost as good though the ice

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

maybe a dumb question but I just bought some and used yesterday. fishing in 20ft,I couldnt tell when I was on the bottom..do those lay flat on the bottom if you let too much line out? or do the weeds float too.. what do you guys do?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Use the float like a cork. If the weeds aren’t of the bottom the float will sit lower in the water. I guess I’ve never looked to see if they stand up on their own, but I would guess they wouldn’t.

If your still having trouble detecting the bottom, add a “depth finder sinker” to the 3 ozer that’s already there…once the bottom is found, take the extra sinker off and set your other Weeds to the same length/depth.

When fishing some people like to run and gun. I’m too lazy for that…I let the fish come to me.

Perch on the Pond<<<

sink-her
    Kasson MN

Well went to local fleet farm, still deciding, watched the internet thing looks good. Where i fish has no structor so they might come in handy. I really dont have any problem getting any 9 to 11 inch sunnys. I know their are crappies, but cant find them my goal is to latch onto some this year when the ice gets a little safer. So i will try some this thanks for the info.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I was thinking of getting round bobbers just big enough to be pulled under by the weight and attach them to the top of weeds and let the bobber hold them upright.

Ed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.