minnetonka question

• eye_hunter

since it seems that the lakes in the city area are taking a long time to freeze, I was just wondering how minnetonka is doing.

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

West end is mostly skimmed over with a few open water patches. East end is pretty wide open still. Saw one portable out last night on Locke point.

eye_hunter

portables already, wow, some brave people.

HoytShooter

I’d stay off that lake for a while…it has deceptive current to go with large size….takes about 2 weeks longer to safely freeze if there’s such a thing….

mrwalleye
    MN

What current is that?
    the only place that I have ever seen thin Ice from current is in the channels ( the Narrows, Coffee and Grays Bay Channels are the worst) and the creek mouths.
    not to say that the ice is safe. but most of the time when there is thin ice it’s from either Carp or springs ( smiths Bay has 2 nasty springs ).
    You just have to be careful and check the ice depth ALL the way out as you go. dont be like the dumb that I watched last year drill a hole 20 feet from shore to check the ice and see 4″ then walk 1/4 mile on 1-1/2 to 2″ of ice not knowing that it froze at two differnt times

Oh Ya! I have been fishing this lake for 30+ years and average 60+ days a year on the ice and have seen things that make you wonder how some people make it through life

HoytShooter

Spring Park Bay has current for one example…the lake is in a way a flowage….

mrwalleye
    MN

spring park bay has springs hence the name
    I dont know if you have ever been to the dam in the winter, but the flow is almost nonexistent. and the current at the bridge at grays goes back and forth very slow like a wave in a pool.
    there is current in the lake in the summer, and if you know were to look you can see it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.