Early Ice

• braaten10
    Austin, Minnesota

Made it out for the first time this season yesterday, fished for about 2 1/2 hours in the morning and managed about 15 crappies 10-13in. and a few rock bass as well. Had about 4-5in of good solid ice. Went out again today with 1 to 2 in. of additional ice and fished for about 3 hours, did even better today with 20 total crappies with about 5 being right around the 13in. mark. We were fishing on the cedar river near Austin. (pics are from today)

billybob68
    Austin, MN

sorry that was my report but my brother (braaten10) was logged in when i posted it, haha

wallster
    Austin, MN

Hey Bobby, That guy you were fishin with didnt happen to drop anything down the hole did he? Hes pretty good at that.
    Wallster ><((((>

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Nice mess of slabs…..

What was the hot lure?

livetofishmn
    Mankato, Mn

you better keep that secret spot on the hush hush bob!! haha…we got a lot of fishin to do when i get back to austin. Nice pile of slabs im sure they tasted great too

billybob68
    Austin, MN

I was using a glow ratso tipped with a Gulp maggot. Started off with a diamond jig but i think it was a little to flashy and big for there taste right now.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Did you need to use a spring bobber? Or were these fish aggressive? I found so far this winter that the crappie have been very finicky, light biters.

Thanks

billybob68
    Austin, MN

I dont have a spring bobber on the set-up i was using but it was kinda off and on. There were fish that came up like rockets and hit it pretty good but then there where fish that either bit really light or didnt bite at all.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very nice crappies, that had to be a blast

troy_blackstad
    Hastings MN

Wow nice work.. I would drive to Austin for them..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.