St. Croix Legand Ice Rods

• Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

I have heard a ton about the design of these rodsa dn I have decided it is time for me to break down and buy one. I fish mainly bluegills with some crappies. What do you goiys thing Ultra light or light action? Thanks guys.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Legends have a ton of backbone, go with the UL for panfish

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Legends have a ton of backbone, go with the UL for panfish

I will second that

I also purchased the Medium spring just for the times I am using heavier jigs such as the forage minnows, swedish pimples and Slender spoons.

The springs change out with ease!

Rugbyguy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Buy one of each! I love my UL for smaller jigs and L when I go to jigging spoons. I also upgrade to the next heavier spring on my L rod, which can be changed out in a flash.

troy_blackstad
    Hastings MN

I have the light and all the springs. I couldn’t wait to get back out this season and use it. After reading about the ultra light on here I’m going to get that one this weekend. Hmmm Then maybe a trip to Mille Lacs!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

You will love the UL

Welcome to IDO Blackstad

wilson1984

Welcome Mr. Blackstad! Its about time you join the IDO. Anytime your ready to head up north let me know. I’ll talk Ritter, Bob and the rest of the gang into telling us where they keep all the fish up there!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

Welcome Mr. Blackstad! Its about time you join the IDO. Anytime your ready to head up north let me know. I’ll talk Ritter, Bob and the rest of the gang into telling us where they keep all the fish up there!

Wilson, there are no fish up there.Don’t waste your time

nater3
    Webster City, IA

Where can you buy the extra springs and how much are they each? I saw that Cabelas has the rods online, but didn’t see the springs sold separately.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Where can you buy the extra springs and how much are they each? I saw that Cabelas has the rods online, but didn’t see the springs sold separately.

I got mine at Gander last year.

FDR

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Or you can try this dependable source…the prices generally do not vary on St.Croix…

Everts bait shop

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

We also carry the springs in case anyone is interested.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

Or you can try this dependable source…the prices generally do not vary on St.Croix…

Everts bait shop

I will have to ditto the above… I have bought my last 4 St Croix Legend Ice rods from Dean. Unbelievable service, fast shipping, and great prices!

Only strange part was the cookie crumbs in the bottom of the box…

troy_blackstad
    Hastings MN

Quote:

I got mine at gander. about 7 bucks

troy_blackstad
    Hastings MN

Quote:

You will love the UL

Welcome to IDO Blackstad

Hey thanks for the welcome guys. I have to figure this quote and reply thing out.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Looks like you got it.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

By the way. Be prepared to catch more fish! You will be able to sense/see more bites.

FDR

SteveSantoni
    Minneapolis, Mn

Instead of making a new post I’ll just add my couple questions here.

#1 last year i bought a Legend Elite light ice rod. Now i know It maybe isn’t supposed to be for walleyes but had heard and experienced that it was fine for the smaller eyes we were getting. However I was getting my ice fishing stuff out and noticed that the rod has splintered a bit near the tip i only noticed it because i was putting some tension on the line and you can only notice it when the rod is slightly bent. I Think i recall there being a year warranty on them – but I don’t have a receipt and have since thrown away the original packaging…. any advice? or should i just mark a new one down on my Christmas list

I should also add that I most likely used it while it was like this – so i suppose I could still use it as is because the splintering is on the top.

#2 I know it is probably ideal to have a UL for panfish and a M for Eyes but are walleyes just too much stress for a Light action rod? Really wanted to get away with 1 go-to rod for ice fishing and thought I had found it.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

and noticed that the rod has splintered a bit near the tip i only noticed it because i was putting some tension on the line and you can only notice it when the rod is slightly bent. I Think i recall there being a year warranty on them – but I don’t have a receipt and have since thrown away the original packaging…. any advice?

Contact St.Croix, talk to their customer service and they can and will help.
    Here is a link for the St. Croix Warranty/Repair Center

Ron

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

#2 I know it is probably ideal to have a UL for panfish and a M for Eyes but are walleyes just too much stress for a Light action rod? Really wanted to get away with 1 go-to rod for ice fishing and thought I had found it.

Your right, not ideal but doable.
    You should be able to get away with your set-up just make sure that you have the different springs to make them more sensitive.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.