Swim Raps Style Jigs

• Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

Hey everyone!

Looking to broaden my fishing skills by getting familiar with swim jigs like Swimming Raps/Shads, Mini Airplanes, etc and was wondering how you prefer to work these lures. I know the fish tell me what they want but I’m sure there are some general preferred methods. I started using Chubby Darters the last few years and became pretty successful at using these so I’m looking to add more to my game. Any info on your techniques is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Baits like a jigging rap will often swim in a circular pattern- I like to really work that circle aggressively if there are no fish on the flasher, in order to attract them. Then after a fish shows up, it is all up to the fish in decided how to coax them to bite. I always try to get the fish to rise, sometimes they hit it before you can even raise it. Other times subtle little lifts and falls will get them to bite, and yet other times they hit it on an extremely slow fall. My best recommendation is to get out there and use one…you will pick it up quickly!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Got to love the Jig N Raps.
    This report has some tips for using the jigs.

Targa01
    Grand Rapids MN Area

Thanks for the replies. I’ve pretty much only heard of the lift, drop, hold a second, then repeat. And maybe throw a jiggle in there during the hold portion. So I wanted to see what else was getting bit out there.

I pretty much do the same thing with the darter, work it good until a fish comes in and then play keep away a little bit. I was excited when I got my first fish on the darter (no bait also, ruins the action)now I have something new to look forward to with the Jig-N-Raps. I know the darter seems to produce some of my bigger fish and I’ve heard the same for these other lures.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.