mini Rush Lake Report

• corey-studer

First, I would like to say, please use extreme CAUTION when venturing out ice fishing, ESPECIALLY first ice. I don’t know how so many people forget the basic tips of safety for early ice such as: going with a buddy, ice pics, life vest, rope, throwable and a good ice chisel just to name a few.

What made me think of posting safety tips is that our fishing group encoutered two anglers trying to get across a ridge to the “sweet” spot. First, it didn’t appear that they had life jackets or a chisel. So, they started by pushing their portable house/sled across the ridge. We could see that the sled was on some water, but that didn’t stop them. They proceeded to push the sled across the ridge and did a run and jump over the ridge (NOT knowing what was on the other side ). I was ready with my throwable and rope, just in case… My party and I just couldn’t believe how risky and dumb that was.

Then they had the gall to say, “looks like we’re the trend setters.”

It was was quite humorous as they pulled out their old plastic lake map and looked around as if, yep this is the spot. We all know how accurate those hard plastic maps are…

Ok, on to the fishing report. After checking the ice. we found 3 1/2 to 4 inches of solid clear ice. It’s fun to walk out looking down as you can see the structure or lack there of. We proceeded out and followed the weeds until we could not see them anymore. We drilled a series of holes along the weed line and off to the deeper water with not much luck. (just a few sniffers).

We then decided to go to the other side of the lake to check some deeper haunts, only to find LESS ice. NO WAY is a little fish worth it or BIG fish for that matter. We decided to go back to the East side and grind it out in a little hole near weeds. The fish we did manage to catch were in the weeds and you had to call them out. Even once you called them out, they were very negative. Patience and almost dead sticking them was the key to catching the few that we got to commit. Baits varied from little ants with waxies to atom jigs tipped with power grubs and various plastics.

I think Corey may have a few photo’s of the few fish we caught, but nothing to write home about. It was great to get out, yet a little disturbing when some don’t use common sense.

Good luck and be safe to all of you venturing out on that early ice.

schlankki
    otsego, mn

It was nice fishing with you. The vexilars were an important tool to catch the gills. When using low power we were able to see the fish swim through the weeds. Thanks vexilar. If i recall after the two kids said they where starting a trend Corey piped up and said ” stupidity is not a trend its inherited.” Thanks for everything.

corey-studer

It was good was good meeting and fishing with you too. That other area should be good to go in a couple of days.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.