Fish Trap vs. Otter

• Scraper

I’m looking to buy a flip over 2 man ice house. I’ve fished out of a fish trap yukon before, and they seem really nice, does anyone have any good/bad experiences with fish trap compared to otters or frabill?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have had both in the past, and they are both a horse a piece.
    Both are excellent shacks, both can be heavy, and both offer ample room for fishing. I would give the Otter’s a slight advantage when talking about overall room.

Whatever one you choose between the 2 will be an excellent choice.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

pulling by hand the fish trap, pulling by other means the otter. I have one of each and love them both.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’d give the nod to the Fish trap. You can not beat their cistomer service if you need anything. The weight is also a factor to me.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The one thing I really like about my Otter is the ability to add the Hyfax runners. That really cuts down on the wear and tear as you can replace them when they wear down. No problem dragging on pavement for short distances.

-J.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I use to own a fishtrap….
    I have owned Otter Ice Houses now for the past 7 years…I have fished out of the single and the doubles..I currently own a Medium Cabin with a Bench Seat. This is one of the most important parts of an ice house in my opinion..If you are not comfortable in your ice house..it’s junk…

I like the single ice houses for mobility..and the dbl. for when i can pull it with my vintage 3-wheeler

If you have any questions on the Otter Ice Houses feel free to ask

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Hey a Dave Koonce sighting. Keeping busy Dave? You still have the open invitation to come fish the Madison chain. I had bluegills as big as hub caps on the camera last year every time I went.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

If you fish nasty weather, go with the otter or the X2 fishtrap. Both are heavy for pulling by hand. If you fish nice weather go with the standard fishtrap for light weight. It appears as though the other companies have up’ed their quality and style–might be worth looking into.

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

I have an otter cabin and like it. it’s very sturdy. I’ve fished out a few fish traps and they are nice as well. I don’t think you can make a bad choice

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.