Big Buddy Heaters

• wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I picked up a big buddy heater and wondering how well and how long will it run off of the 2 – 1# propance cylinders? I also am going to get the 12ft regulator hose to connect to a 20# tank, but for weight issues, would like to use the 1# tanks….

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

my buddies used to run them off of the pounders but they said they always ran out when the fishing picked up. sorry i cant give you a set timeframe; but lately, no one in my fishing circle uses 1 pounders. and we all drag clam voyagers.

and if you do use the larger tanks, make sure you get a fuel filter for it (if you havent already). 3 buddies had to send in their heaters cuz the regulator got clogged. they are around $10, and when the manufacturer returned them to my buds, they said the filters are all but required to preserve the life of your heater with those big tanks.

tslonek
    Coon Rapids,Mn

I use mine in my portable ice shack and it didn’t seem to last very long in really cold weather with the 1#. I switched to the 20# right away and it seems to be much more efficient.

thebigd25
    st. paul

mr heater says 3 to 12 hourson 2 1# cylinders, you could always refill them and bring a couple extra

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

How tough is it to refill the 1# cylinders off of a 20#?? Ive seen the attachments at Gander and always wanted to get into that. Save some $$ and recycle the old small bottles.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I hear you I know their new 12ft hose has the regulator, quick connects, and filter all in one package…so I think I will have to get a 11# tank as a back up to my 20# and not mess with the lil 1#’s

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

How tough is it to refill the 1# cylinders off of a 20#?? Ive seen the attachments at Gander and always wanted to get into that. Save some $$ and recycle the old small bottles.

The 1 lb. tanks will only fill 1/2 to 3/4 full and half of those tanks will leak. A few buds and I tried it a few seasons ago…we all came to the same conclusion. It was a waste of time, energy and money. I have the adaptor sitting in my camper if you want it, I’ll never use it again.

It’s much easier to use a hose and 10 or 20 lb. tank. Carrying a bunch of 1 lb. cylinders around, changing them out while on the ice…just dealing with them is a hassle IMHO, not to mention when your out in sub zero weather and the little tanks freeze…ruins your day without heat!! I use a 10 lb. tank and hose, works well. I do keep a couple 1 lb. tanks in my sled in case I run out though.

BIRDDOG

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

The 1 lb. tanks will only fill 1/2 to 3/4 full and half of those tanks will leak. A few buds and I tried it a few seasons ago…we all came to the same conclusion. It was a waste of time, energy and money. I have the adaptor sitting in my camper if you want it, I’ll never use it again.

It’s much easier to use a hose and 10 or 20 lb. tank. Carrying a bunch of 1 lb. cylinders around, changing them out while on the ice…just dealing with them is a hassle IMHO, not to mention when your out in sub zero weather and the little tanks freeze…ruins your day without heat!! I use a 10 lb. tank and hose, works well. I do keep a couple 1 lb. tanks in my sled in case I run out though.

My thought exactly

sink-her
    Kasson MN

I get about 5 to 9 hours on one tank on a average day. For the refill thing leave it at the store inconsistant P.O.S. like the heater alot. I found out if you set it on somthing like board it works alot better the tanks dont freeze up good luck. FISK ON!!!!!

red89
    Hudson

I know this is off topic, but would one of these big buddy heaters be a good choice to use in a permanent ice shack? We have a wood stove, but are looking for a good propane heating idea, so we can regulate temperature a little better. We would run it off big tanks.

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

i dont think so red. they arent as efficient and other than cracking a window or propping the door open, they are a PITA to vent.

id suggest some sort of blueflame heater, kinda like this one from cabelas. they are really efficient and you can just mount it to the wall of your shack. we actually prop it up with a makeshift stand and put it in my uncles RV for deer camp. they get really toasty and you dont get all the fumes from a big buddy. if u are looking for an indoor heater, id go with a blue flame. plus if you power them up via a generator, they have a nice blower fan as well.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I agree with Scott. I had the Big Buddy for 2 seasons, and just didn’t care for it. It had a hard time warming a 2 man flip over and if it got a little gust of wind, out went the flame. Mine was a hassle to lite also. IMHO, you can’t go wrong with a Mr. Heater sunflower heater, instant heat and lasts a long time with a 20lb tank.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.