La Crosse Ice– Sooner than we thought!

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I write this in disbelief. Last year I stood on ice less than 1 foot away from shore in the waining days of November and was ecstatic. Today I walked out more than 50 feet on a local backwater. In fact I could have fished if I wanted to but i had no idea there would be 2″ of clear ice on one of my favorite early season bluegill spots. The shoreline was a little sketchy, but with tonights frigid temps it should be good to go by tomorrow..Can’t believe I’m the first to report it, but we have fishable ice in La Crosse, WI.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I would be very careful with the warmer temps predicted this weekend I wouldnt think the ice is going to be to safe

deputycrappie
    Near Lake Pepin, Minnesota

I checked a little hotspotof mine near lacrescent this morning, skimmed over with an inch or so. My bet is next week I’ll be dragging on.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

50 to 75 individuals (far too many to accurately count) on the ice down at Green Lake this afternoon. Seen a few bucketeers with gills flopping on the ice…Didn’t get out of the car nor talk to anybody coming off so I couldn’t give an accurate ice depth report. However – I’ll be drilling my holes by 6:45am tomorrow morning

gwastlick
    Viola

I was one of the 50 or so guys on green lake this morning. Ice depth is maybe 2.5″ it gets a little weird when people move in next to ya. I fished from 7:30-12:30 took 9 gills home with me. caught a few bass biggest was 16″. I did walk down to the cut with out getting wet, but a few times the cracks went right between my legs. I caught most of my fish on a pink/white purist no waxie. The sun was nice, but the fish were pretty spooky in my opinion. Lots of activity as the day went on. Bout three turns and your through what ice is there. Be safe its a long season thats just getting started, but sure was nice to be on the ice again.

JIGGEREYE

anyone getting any northern on tip -ups yet???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.