What best describes your ice fishing shelter?

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m not a rocket scientist, but it hit me yesterday that I don’t have a shelter for the year. I had planned to give up ice fishing and concentrate on other hobbies. Well, it looks like it’s going to be a long ice season this year. I went around to the dumpsters in our development last night and pulled out 2×4’s and scraps of other wood. I may have a permanent built by the end of next week if they keep throwing away good lumber….Startin to get that itch!!

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

I fish out of a Fish Trap III,so it’s a 3 man unit.I guess it’s a little big when I’m by myself but it’s real nice for 2 people-lots of room.
    Ryan Hale

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I fish out of the Otter Lodge. It’s a great portable for two fisherman. It has a 6×8 foot print! Setup size is 74″Lx94″Wx74″H and it weighs 80lbs.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I have a 6 x 8 canvas by Northland but I prefer the 5 gallon pail on thin ice. Spent some happy hours fishing off Hunters Point with the old pail. Just following the pink fishouse around. Fishing with Winston and Jim K. Used to be that zero or above it was the pail, now it’s zero windchill or above for me. Just have to keep the beer from freezing. I suppose as I get older a pullover will be in order.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Hey Putz, see ya soon out on the ice near Hunters!

I think Dicky might have painted the pink house…….

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

I fish out of Frabill XLTwin. It’s lightweight and has plenty of storage behind the bench seat. Holds up well in high winds also.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

When it’s cold I fish out of a Frabill “hide out”. It’s 6 by 4 feet. I’ve had it for about 18 yrs & like it real good. It also sets up in about 2 min & pulls real easy in the snow. A lot of times I don’t even set it up but use it to carry the rest of my gear. {John}

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I am about 75% done with an IceHouse that will be portable, solid walled and comfortable. I have two portables (A Snowboat and a Fish Trap) but I want something more solid and much more comfortable. I will use the canvas portables until I can drive on the ice and then I am going to my permanent portable. I still want to be able to move quickly and easily. I have stolen design ideas from a number of permanent and portable houses that I have seen. I have an old boat trailer and I am building a 4’X 8′ wooden icehouse that will tilt onto the trailer and move where ever I want to go. At least that is the concept I am designing it on. I am making it out of 2X2’s and 1/4″ plywood so it is relatively light. I have the house just about all done and tommorrow I plan on working on the trailer. The house will attach to the trailer on hinges and just tilt onto its side on the trailer. I reinforced all the 2X2 joists with braces so it is pretty solid. The question is: How much bouncing around will it be able to take? It seems pretty solid right now so I am driving on with construction. This is a picture of the house – the base is 2X4s and the walls are 2X2 and 1/4″ plywood. When I get it all done I will get you a picture of the finished product. Hopefully it will last more than 1 trip.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I use the Otter Medium Sled

Otter Ice Fishing Houses Bolt onto the 2 corners or your sled. The telescoping poles allow the houses to be set up and folded down in less than 60 seconds .With the house folded down, there is more than ample room for your gear. Otter houses are the ULTIMATE in portability! Check these sleds out, you’ll be glad you did !!

3way
    eastern iowa.

you north of iowa guys are so lucky you are able to build those comfortable and warm homes on ice. i have a snoboat, not sure what year. made somewhere in wi. i believe. i don’t think they make them anymore. it is a very nice 3man portable hut though. our ice is so unpredictable it may get melted in and never get it back in one piece. getting anxious to try it though. looks like there will be lots of ice here too this winter.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I’m afraid of ICE I fish out of my Lund all year round!!!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I have a Fish Trap one man for when I go out venturing by myself and a Frabill Ranger for when I have company. I also keep a permanent on MIlle Lacs by Malmo.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Like Reefrunner, I also do a lot of winter fishing out of my boat.

Gator Hunter

ProTiller
    Chisago Lakes Area

Last winter I fished from a Ranger XLTwin. It looks like I’ll be fishing from it again this winter (if I don’t sell it).

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

How about … Ram tough!!

I use a 4X4 Black Dodge Quad Cab (NPAA #755) as my primary shelter. I have it rigged for icefishing. The FL 18 is velcroed to the dash with a plug-in powercord. My Lowrance LMS-350 has a roof mounted antennae and sits in full view. The little screen on the handhelds don’t cut it. My gear is in the back seat at the ready. The console storage area acts as a tacklebox.

When it gets too windy to watch the line or keep the holes open I have been known to pull out an Otter for myself. I keep one attached to the Dodge with the hitch.

I use both of the two man Otters for clients…the larger Cabin and the Medium Otter. The seats are great. If you have a bad back get them ASAP. Mine are set up in the front yard now as we speak. They’ll be going in the back of “blackie” in a couple of hours after it warms up a tad. Today is a bittersweet day…the unloading of the waterfowl gear and the loading of the icefishing gear.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Bobber:

Great idea on the propane pig carrying container!!!

Mark

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have a 2 person Shappell portable ice house which works great and Nate and I each bought a new Fish Trap Scout which is small and light weight for short quick outtings. It should fit real nice in the back of my little Geo car [the back seat folds down] that I use for most of my driving and errands [great gas mileage] so I’m always ready for a ”fishin fix.” I wanted something that was light and quick to use and very mobile so I chose that model. Like Reefrunner, I too am afraid of the ice, so when its thick enough to support my Geo then I’ll walk on it. Until then I always have my boat and shore fishing to fill in the gap. And I can ALWAYS fish the in-depthangling website when I can’t be on the soft or hard water. Thanks, Bill

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Well I just sold my otter sled to rvvrrat from the webs site and now i’ll be looking to purchase a Otter Small Den. I like the idea of the square tubing they are using for 2004.

This one has a set up size of 56″L x 69″W x 62″H, and a weight of 43 lbs (Sled & house)

Check out all the Otter Products on their web site Otter Outdoors

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I have pink carpet in mine. It is not every guy that is secure enough in his masculinity to fish and drink beer on pink carpet!!!!!!

herb
    6ft under

And it’s just a coinky-dink that vomit and pink carpet won’t clash!

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Ecnook..I was at the Otter factory this spring and saw that they were going to the square tubbing. If I can, I’m going to convert over to that. I forgot to ask them if I could. I got to give em a call ASAP.

Also they have a variation on their seats too. One thing about those guys in Maple Lake is that they are trying and succeeding in putting out the best portable on the market.

Not to mention that their neighbors to the south (Warrior Boats) in town are putting out the best walleye boat on the market

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

A lot of the changes you see were talked about in a prstaff meeting held late winter/spring. Its nice to see a company that really listens and is willing to make changes to better their product.

tgif

I got the one in the post above….the cadillac on ice! After 5 years of heavy use it’s still the best and I’ve got 5 pre-seasons of rigging into it. I’ve had one fish catch itself…no kidding! I had about a 2-3 lb pike swim right up the hole onto the watery/slush on top of the ice. Never seen that in any other portable.

It would be nice to have a good permanent on hydraulics/or crank up for crashing out in and running rattle reels. Or when the wind is 30+ mph. TGIF

bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

my brother’s and I have 4 permanent ice houses we set up on lake of the woods in various spots…different houses for different fish…all have a cap. of up to 6 people, and all are made to spend the nite in(if so inclined-and I am so inclined a few times a month!!)

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Last year, mine was a 1050 sq ft, split level house with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a 3 car garage! It is very warm but I don’t catch much 3 blocks from the lake!!!!

Maybe this year I will actually make it one the ice.

Anyone got room in their shelter????

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Moss…there’s always room in the Clam 2000….send me a PM…we’ll go soon…Especially since i always go to the island.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.