Ice Line

• scottsteil
    Central MN

I started a new topic because the Glow Devil Forum turned into an ice line forum. Here is my 2 cents on ice line.

P-line is great stuff and expensive. Derek and I go round and round about this one all the time. LOL

I prefer Berkely Vanish on my ice reels. Yes, it is hard to see, but when you get used to it you will still be able to see bites. Usually I can get Vanish cheaper then P-Line, so that is why I use it. In the winter I use 2 & 4 lb test. Maybe one rod with some 6 lb for hog walleye or Pike, other then that I got with the light stuff.

Hint, Make sure you match your line to your hook. Using a light hook with line that is to heavy is a recipe for disaster, especially with Flourocarbon.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Good point Scott. I also forgot to mention I stay away from the super-lines when fishing winter panfish. Having a sensitive rod is more important than having sensitive line. Super-lines can tear and straighten light wire hooks on hook-sets on a fishes mouth. I only like to use super-lines when fishing for walleyes in water over 20 feet. Even then I will use a mono leader made of P-line of-course.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I personally have not seen the P-line anywhere. Of course I haven’t looked either but who carries it? Thanks, Bill

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Gander Mtn. and Cabelas carry P-Line. I use the CX Premium and love it.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I did use P-Line on one of my rods towards the end of last year. Digging that deep in my wallet was tough but it is good stuff, no doubt.

3way
    eastern iowa.

somewhere, someone said cabela’s has the p-line cx-premium. i could only find the p-line cfx. is this the same line? also berkley vanish fluorocarbon in the 6#test being the smallest offered. does someone have another place to mail order these lines?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’m quite positive I said they have it. That’s the only place I’ve ever bought it. Here’s a link to the P-Line product line in the Cabelas website.

p-line

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

OK ,,

Save yourself some $ and go to WalMart and in their fabric dept. you’ll find a 4mil poly thread that dissapears under water…this stuff helps me catch more fish…I have compared it between other lines side by side…check it out..

It’ll pull monster slab crappies and gills without breaking…

gary_wellman
    South Metro

huh????

Your kidding?????????????

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Not at all…I’ve been using this stuff for the past 8 years or so…give it a try…I think it’s a buck or something like that and there is boo~coo line on a spool.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Ecnook,

I can vouch for you on this sewing thread concept. I used it a few years back for some Ann lake (olgivie,mn) sunnies that were ultra finicky. (you know the ones that come in to the screen on the vexilar and sit and examine your offering for several, several minutes..) Anyway, this stuff has helped us put more big gills on the ice. We were outfishing the 1 & 2 lb mono ice lines 4-5:1. At the time we stayed away from putting this stuff on any reels set ups and just stuck to the jiggle sticks with light spring type bobbers (indicators). Strange…but it works!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

So, does this stuff work with a reel? I would be most interested in pursuing this.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Oh yea !! Put on a spinning reel bait casting reel or just the plain plastic reel…depending on the depth you usually fish, determines how much you need to use…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.