Two Potential Fishing Regulation Changes

• Pederm
    Oakdale, MN

In this 2008 Legislative Session, legislators may consider changing the state wide walleye limit and consider moving the walleye opener up a week.

Walleye Limit Reduction:

A proposal has been floating for a 4-walley limit. There currently are many exceptions to the current six-fish statewide limit. Going to a state bag limit would simplify things for anglers and DNR conservation officers charged with enforcement. Reducing the limit likely would reduce the overall walleye harvest, but it’s unclear by how much. Previous DNR studies have indicted that such a bag-limit reduction would have a relatively minor impact on the fisheries (Note: these are not my opinions).

Earlier Fishing Season Opener:

A legislative proposal would move up the fishing season a week, avoiding conflicts with Mother’s Day. The Benefits of the change include bringing the fishing opener to date consistent with border lakes and Border States, benefit resort activities, and reduce conflict with Mothers Day. Recent climate changes have led fish to spawn earlier (I’m not sure where they got this information), so an earlier opener should have minimal effect on fisheries (Note: these are not my opinions).

Personally, I don’t think reducing the bag limit does anything, it’s hard enough catching those toothy critters. As for changing the date of the openner, I say stick with tradition.

I work for the Minnesota State Senate and would much like all of your opinions on these two issues. My senator does not sit on the Environment & Natural Resources Committee (were both bills will be heard), but your comments could be used to influence the outcomes.

I always appreciate all of your comments, especially the fish recipes!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.