SD Sumo perch

• Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Well, We made our 2nd annual trip to SD to chase them Sumo perch. With the 25-35 mph wind and cold weather it made it very difficult to move around but we managed to find a few sumo’s with some good eaters mixed in. We also managed a few nice eater Walleye mixed in. We found our fish in about 12 FOW on break lines, Halie’s and Mini Merts producing the best. Sorry the pic’s are from indoors, with the windy and blowing snow I didn’t want to get the camera out on the lake. Driving off the lake on Sunday thank goodness for GPS equipment…..you could hardly see 15 foot in front of the truck made for a scary situation. I new the wind was blowing hard but the windows were frosted up on the shack and when it was time to pack up….I didn’t even realize that the snow was blowing soooooo bad that visibility at most was 100 ft. Note to self ( check weather out side of shack occasionally when fishing is SD ) All in all it was a great trip and I’m looking forward to next year already.

Pictured my son Andrew and I…..Nice hair buddy.
    Robert, Buck, Mark
    Not Pictured Boomer…..he was starting the potatoes and steak each night

Whatsa

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Dandy perch

Great job braving the weather and stickin’ some sumo’s

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Nice job and some beauty perch!!

That wind on Sunday night was whippin.

I hope you landed at least one of those eyes Whatsa!!

Is it or ??

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Sumos is right!
    Great job guys

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Those are some HAWG perch. Thanks for the report and pics.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Very nice fish

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Nice fish, were you fishing the Waubay area?

spence
    southern mn

there are a couple absolute PIGS in there!! man, i’d like to get into some of those.

Bob Gordon
    Washington,IL

Nice pictures !!!

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

I did I manage 3 of the 6 keepers we caught and Andrew caught his first…..that one wrapped up all three lines and got wrapped around my transducer….ended up pulling it up through my hole on the transducer line…..quite the fiasco. Whatsa

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Yes we were….the word was the south east corner of Waubay was starting to go…..we never made it down there we fished Piyas…..from the sounds of thing it was going a lot better two weeks ago and is starting to tail off but we manage to find some. We talked to group that fished school bus and the didn’t do very well….I think they ended up with a a couple walleye and no perch….but not sure how much searching they did…

We did make it down to Bitter one evening for about and hour to fish for Walleye…Robert had one nice fish up to the hole but came unbuttoned before we could see what or how big it was….he was using a pretty heavy rod and it had it bent over good…..we are pretty sure it was a big walleye we’ll never know for sure.

Next year we think we are going to give Roy a shot and see if we can find the SUMO’s out there……can’t wait

Whatsa

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Great looking perch!

eisert

Those are some pigs!

superdave
    NE IA

Nice job Whatsa. Did you guys have to buy a tribal license to fish Piyas?

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Whatsa,
    nice looking Perch, Nice Perch…
    Wallmounters?????
    Congrats..
    Jack.

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Yes I did. it’s $15 dollars. My son was free until he is 15 years old. I think over 56 was $5

We did get check on Bitter by the DNR and he was very nice. Checked our license and counted our fish and he was on his way to check someone else.

I have a 14 incher mounted already….so I’m looking for that 15 incher to add to the collection…..maybe next year

Whatsa

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Great report…thanks!

We’re headed up there tomorrow, so hopefully we can do half as well as you did. I’m startin to get excited…

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Those are some hogs! Nice job.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.