Favorite Upper Midwest fish to eat?

• Pederm
    Oakdale, MN

Being that we all brave the cold and potential danger to catch a few fish for the frying ban and some fun sport fishing, I thought I would share my favorite fish to eat and two great recipes.

As a retired chef I have perfected the art of pan frying our tasty upper Midwest species. My favorite has to be jumbo bluegills. The filets are nice and firm compared to crappies. However, in my opinion as for flavor, bluegills, crappies (in the spring and winter), walleyes and northern pike taste relatively the same. But nothing beats those bluegills.

I’d like to hear from all of you what your favorite fish and or recipes are?

Recipe 1

This recipe is you basic flower, egg wash, break crumb technique. However, I will share my secret to success.

Ingredients:

Flower
    Bread crumb
    Coarse cornmeal
    Eggs
    Kosher Salt
    High Quality Lemon Pepper
    Lemon
    Steel Wok (this is very important to have. Can be purchases on University Ave. at one of the fine Asian grocery stores for under $20. Don’t be fooled by the high priced ones).

First, thin you egg wash out with a little water. Add a liberal amount of cornmeal to your bread crumb mixer (the cornmeal is what will separate your fish fry from the average Joe’s) . Season your flower and bread crumb mixer with salt and lemon pepper.

Dredge your fillets in flower, egg, bread crumb. Get your steel wok smoking hot (if in your kitchen make sure the fan is on high, this will make the wife much happier). Add just enough vegetable oil so that the filets are not completely immersed. Fry two or three filets at a time (30 Secs. a side) flip for another thirty seconds. When finished, drain on paper towel. Now is when you want to add your fresh squeezed lemon and more lemon pepper. Serve with lemon and tartar sauce (if you must).

I guarantee success. The cornmeal will give it some extra texture and wonderful presentation.

Recipe 2

For an Asian flare this one will nock your socks off.

In a mixing bowl add your dried fillets with chopped garlic , chopped ginger , one hot pepper chopped (jalapeños) , Soy sauce and lime juice (lime zest as well if you have a zester). Marinate for 30 minutes and drain. Then proceed with the flower, egg wash, bread crumb (cornmeal) mixer and fry as instructed above.

Dipping sauce:

One part hoison sauce and one part spring roll fish sauce (don’t be scared, it’s mostly sugar. Make sure to check the ingredients. There are two types. One has lots of fish sauce and the other one has lots of sugar, you want the sugar). Mix together, dip and enjoy.

This Asian flair will have a sweet spicy flavor that will woo your guests.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.