Lake puckaway walleyes today

• Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Another great day on the puck, started out in the mourning at day break and the fish were biting well untill the sun popped up. Had 2 shorts on the ice in the first 10 minutes that were released and then the sun popped out and the fish turned off , every time one showed up and you moved the jig they were gone . On puckaway we are ussually fishing in 3 feet of water , and the lake max depth is 4 to 5 feet deep in the winter. We were fishing in a area that had a bottom change from sand to mud bottom with a depth change of about 8 inches in depth. Went home for dinner which is about 300 yards away from where we are fishing and headed back out around 1:30 pm.. I set up on the sand spotted 1 down the hole and it did not like me moving the jigging rap so it moved towards my other pole which was resting on my rod stand and nailed it . It was a nice 16 incher that was put in the pail. Nopthing else was showing up so drilled 2 more sets of holes to find the bottm change in depth and mud bottom. First set of holes was just what I was looking for a little more depth and the mud bottom. It didn,t take long and eyes were showing up at a nice pace. The jigging method that I was using was the old stand by of bouncing on the bottom and holding the jig still for 25 seconds about 4 inches off the bottom and then doing the slightest wobble that you can do. Repeating this process was the ticket each time fish showed up again. Before dark ended up with these 3 eyes and hers a pic of the afternoon . The fish ranged from 16 to 22 inches . From Jeff and Happy New year to everyone.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.