First Time on the ice

• G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Well, I forced my wallet open and picked up an Otter Cabin to go on my sled – got the tent and the bench seat (Gander was out of the regular seats). Spent a couple of hours getting it all put together – really went together nice and easy, the only ‘hard’ part was snapping the plastic tracks around the lip of the sled because they were somewhat bent because of how the tent was packed. The support frames were very easy to assemble and slide great!

Now that I have an enclosure, I was able to talk the wife into going out with me yesterday – we didn’t travel far, staying close to home and hitting a good gill spot – not great size but I was sure we could catch a couple. I figured I’d spend most of my time showing my wife how to read a flasher, work a jig, etc. I was wrong! I spent most of my time taking fish off of her jig! I gotta hand it to those little diamond jigs (glow red seemed to be the key color!), tipped with a waxie. She caught some nice fish. All told, she caught 25+ bluegills and we were only out there for 2 hours, we kept about a dozen for a nice meal last night! I managed to catch a few myself, between taking fish off of her hook and putting on a fresh waxie. At one point, I heard her exclaim, “My shoulders are getting tired from catching all these fish!!!”

Also, gotta say that Otter Cabin is a great shack – sets up very nice and easy and we kept it toasty and nice in there with just a Little Buddy heater.

Looking forward to getting out again soon – maybe this time I can catch a few nice ones!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.