South Center 12/29

• huntfish42
    SSP, MN

Well I just came back from my first trip out on the ice this year and I must say it felt good to get back on the hard water. That being said, on with the day’s events.

We decided to first try Whispering Bay today in search of some crappies. We found them in 12 fow on the out skirts of the “hole”. The crappies were pretty finicky today and getting them to hit was not easy. We ended with 8 crappies all under 8″ except one. These fish were all suspended at about 7′. Also mixed in were some nice big sunnies we pulled off the bottom. At around 4pm the screens on the flashers blanked momentarily as the perch moved in. 3 perch later the screens blanked again. Walleye time!!! They moved in quickly and hit with fury. They were taking perch colored jigging raps with minnow tails attached to the back hook. We were using what I call “trigger jigging”. I grab the line just above the bail and make a motion like I’m pulling a trigger. I could say I caught 4 walleyes but I would be lying. The reality is I lost 4 walleyes The first was about 2′ under the ice and decided to make one last run right to left severing my line at the bottom of the hole. Number 2 decided hang up on the bottom of the hole and was knocked off. And numbers 3 & 4 I simply lost probably to poor hooksets. I saw them all but did not ice one We released all fish (some inadvertantly) and had a pretty good day. The ice was around 11″ and if anyone is wondering wheelers are doing just fine on S.C. Sorry no pics as I left the camera in the truck. Good luck and stay safe.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.