La Crosse Area Slab bite 12-26-07

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Venturing on to the ice this morning at 9:30 was a great feeling with no one to be found on the ice…
    Justin and I set up in an area hoping to get on some nice walleyes..With only 2 saugers and a few real small crappies after a couple hours of hole hopping, we didn’t know what to think. We put on probably over a mile of walking and still had nothing on our flasher screens..we took a quick break for lunch and ended up repositioning on the area that we started. It took a while, but we finally found the key to icing the nicer fish. Instead of hole hopping, we found it was better to stay put and work the fish in your hole hard, rather than hole hop to sieve out the active biters…With time and effort, we caught some very nice fish. although the quantity was less than we had hoped for, the size quickly made up for it. Justin took big fish honors with a 13″ white crappie, and I caught 3 12″ers- 2 whites and a black. Numerous 11″ers also came in. It was a nice change to not be catching bluegills when you fished the bottom. All of these fish came on the bottom in 21-24 fow. As I said it was hard work getting them to come up, but they really hammered it once they were on top of it. A swedish pimple or forage minnow tipped with a minnow head was absolutely the way to go for the larger fish.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.