I thought I had it all figured out….

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I had an icefishing trip planned today. My Dad and I were to meet up with Dave Koonce and some of his friends for a day of fishing N.E. Iowa.

The plan was to leave the shacks at home and just fish the long rods, hopping from hole to hole. Easy enough for sure.

So this morning, I loaded up my backpack with the LX-5, VS560, and a pile of ice tackle to try. In the grand scheme of things, it looked to be a solid plan. No sled to contend with and mobility would be easy.

Everything went well on the way out. Just a few spots to check with the spud. In no time we were fishing and having good time.

About 11am the fishing had died off and thoughts of a burger and a soda were creeping into our heads. So we packed up and started our walk back. About 100yds from where we were fishing the worst thing imaginable happened. I broke through the ice. Waist deep in mud, muck and water.

My first instinct screamed “GET OUT!!!…GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT……” That wasn’t so easy. The ice all around me was paper thin. I kept lunging forward to no avail. After the initial shock wore off, I regained my composure and rolled out of the water. NOT an easy task with all that gear on my back.

My great plan almost turned to disaster. Looking back, had I been in any deeper water, I tremble at the thought of what would have happened. Just the thought of losing that gear gives me goosebumps. The thought of that gear costing me my life….unimaginable.

If someone had bet me I’d fall through the ice this year in the entire season, I’d have laid $100 on the table. I’m not sure at all what caused that ice to be so thin. There was no current, only a thin 2″ layer of snow on top. Even more odd, the guys I was walking out with never got wet and were within feet of me. I guess it was just my time.

I will say this though. People wonder why I wear my Guidewear when I fish. To that I say “’cause it keeps me dry.” I got wet today, muddy too. But NOT NEARLY as wet as I should have been had I been wearing my Carharts or just regular pants. That Guidewear kept me as dry as possible given the situation.

I was even able to enjoy a burger and a soda in New Albin on the way home.

As a reminder right now, no ice is safe. All of it must be checked with regularity. STAY ON THE TRAIL!! And as my Dad always told me. I learned that lesson again today.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.