MN Hybrid Sunfish – 12/15 Weekend

• Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

This past weekend I hit one of those lakes that you drive by and say, “I wonder if there are any fish in there?”

This particular lake has thousands of cars drive by it each day.

It wasn’t a complete shot in the dark for us. My Dad takes the canoe out there a few times each summer. The access is not suitable for a boat in the summer, so it little to no summer pressure.

We punched some holes near my Dad’s preferred summer spot. I dropped the Marcum down the hole and had to make some adjustments to find bottom. Not the fault of the flasher, but it was simply loaded with sunfish. The spot we settled into was in 13 FOW. Dad had informed me there was a stunting problem with an over-population problem and that presentation wasn’t critical. In the summer when my Mom doesn’t want to re-bait her plain aberdeen hook those frisky rascals can be caught on a plain bare hook.

With this in mind, I knew I didn’t need to worry about finesse but rather concern myself with “fishing fast” and simplicity. I personally love a 1/16 ounce jigging spoons when there is a real aggressive sunfish bite.

I’m far from a fish biologist so I’m easily stumped and yesterday was no exception. My buddy asked, “What are hybrid’s a hybrid of?” Well a little research taught me this occurs when a male bluegill and a female green sunfish have a rendezvous in the spring.

The top quartile of our sampling was in the 8″+ range with a few that were 8.5″.

It was great, as always, to share a fish house with Dad and we put a smile on Mom’s face with a few select fish for a hot grease release.

Sully

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.