New Wisconsin Bait Regulations (for VHS)

• raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

Has there already been on a thread on the the new minnow and dead bait regulations for Wisconsin? If so, I didn’t see it. I have been hearing alot about this the last few weeks and just wanted to make sure all other fisherman were also aware. Just check out this link for more information. If it doesn’t work just go to the wisconsin DNR front page.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/news/DNRNews_Lookup.asp?id=97#art3

-tim

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

After reading your post, I wonder how they will be able to buy live minnows from a local bait shop, if you can not have live fish while travelling or did I miss the boat on this subject.

jhalfen

To me, the biggest change seems to be the no dead bait provision. In other words, you can’t use dead smelt or other dead baits on tip ups for pike, which is relatively common especially during late ice. Dead bait is only allowed if it collected from the lake you intend to use it on. Another significant change is that you can’t leave the lake with live minnows, so no more keeping leftover bait in the garage overnight for use the next day.

Dave Carlson (Northwoods Adventures) made an interesting statement last night. He said that “candid conversations with area CO’s indicate that the new regulations will be very difficult to enforce”.

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

The baitshop owner here in Prior Lake said he will NOT be getting LARGE shiners this year at all becasue of this He was telling me that he couldn’t find anyone here in MN that raises large shiners.

Anyone know if anybody is selling large shiners????? I’m talking about ones in 4-6″ range. All Prior Lake has is 2-3″ and that’s too small.

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

“”Another significant change is that you can’t leave the lake with live minnows, so no more keeping leftover bait in the garage overnight for use the next day.””

This is the part I was talking about, how do they know if you are coming from a bait shop or from the lake. Like in the hayward area, you buy your minnows for the next morning and take them home or you just can not go fishing until the baitshop opens.

jhalfen

The only way I can see it being enforced is at the access. If you’re leaving the lake for the day and have minnows in your possession, you’re setting yourself up for a ticket if the CO is there.

The DNR website said that a way to navigate this rule is to keep some minnows in the truck, and then come back for refills during the day if necessary. If the minnows never come out to the lake (or see lake water), then you can continue to transport them, just as if they had just left the baitshop.

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

I also watched Northland Adventures, I think that is exactly the point they were making on last night’s show. This will be difficult to enforce. I think for the most part, this law is being put in place as a formal message that anglers be aware of the VHS issue and that anglers do their part to prevent the spread. I imagine it is a law so that it has some teeth if required, but I am not clear how easy enforcement will be for the regulation.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

You can use dead bait as long as it’s chemical treated in Borax or brine. Simply freezing bait is not sufficient.

That’s the way I understand it…only “prepared” dead bait is still legal…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.