Lake Onalaska Report

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I made a real quick trip out to the lake this morning mainly to see how the ice is. The ice is in good shape with a few slushy areas that are clearly seen.
    I wet a line for about an hour before it got a little chilly with the wind. I hit the dredge channel in 8′ of water and found some action.
    I wish I could say I caught a ton of fish and they were all 9″+, but I can’t consciously say that
    However, the little time I did spend out there, I was able to catch about a dozen fish between 6-8″. They may not of had the length, but they did have some shoulder to them.
    No bait uses today and it may have produced more fish but I didn’t feel like making a special trip to buy any.
    I hate to sound like a broken record on what jigs to use, but again, the Diamond Jig was my only producer this morning. I tried my favorite Forage Minnow, a Lil’ Cecil, and the Gill Pill but none of those produced even a hit. However, the Forage Minnow was used to “call” the fish in by bouncing it off the bottom a few times. When I first drilled the hole, there was no activity until I bounced the minnow off the bottom a few times. Once the fish keyed in on the location, they never left.
    A couple other observations, people are starting to bring their permenant shacks on to the ice. There was also a 4-wheeler being unloaded from a trailer as I was leaving. The ice was in the 7″ range where I was today and that is also in an area with current, so the calmer areas should have more ice. Only 1 pic today of an average sized gill from today taken on the Diamond Jig.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.