12/4/07 Crappie Madness Report

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

WOW, what a great day on the ice this morning and early afternoon. I had to hang it up due to wet hands and cool temperatures
    I planned my morning with one thing in mind and that was to get on some first ice crappies for the first time this year. Little did I know they were going to be on a tear. There is a front coming through today and into tonight bringing more snow so I had a good idea the fish were going to react in a positive manner. When I pulled up to the area I planned to fish, I noticed one other person and also noticed the lack of holes in the ice. I could already feel the anticipation growing knowing I was going to be on fresh fish that had not had anything thrown at them this year yet. I talked to the other guy out there and noticed he had a few dandy crappies on the ice. After talking a little bit, I went out and got set-up in a familiar spot from years past. I drilled 4 holes right away and then dropped the MarCum transducer down to check things out. Immediately, I had both suspended fish as well as fish close to the bottom. BINGO, they were here, but now the question was, “Would they bite?”. That was quickly answered when I dropped the Forage Minnow down to them. I swear these fish were fighting to get to the spoon first.
    I was set-up over 13 fow with a hard sand bottom. The fish were suspended around the 7-10 foot range and would charge up to meet the jig.
    The crappie were up high and for the most part, the gills were below them.
    Today was one of those days where jig styles really didn’t matter as I caught them with shrimpo’s. Lil’ Cecil’s, and Forage Minnows and no bait.
    The pics I have are not the best today for some reason. I might need to let more light in the shack to get better shots.
    The pics of the gills are of the average size for today and the crappies were of some of the better ones of the day. Also the one shot of the flasher shows how suspended and stacked they were.
    The bite continued for me throughout the time I was there, but I left due to icy hands. I left this morning with nothing to light my heater
    Also, the ice is in great shape The snow had turned to slush and is now froze solid. I had 5″ everywhere I drilled today. Even with some snow, we should be sitting good for foot travel for awhile now.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Nice report Wats…good to see you are getting out

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Good job watts… I’m wishin I was fishin.

Jami

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Geez Wats….get a job hey

Great report, way to stay on them

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Great report Wats,thanks.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Nice fish Wats….Detailed report as well!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

get a job hey

I might think about that about,ohhhh……….April

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Thanks for the replies guys
    I plan on spending a lot of time this year on the ice and trying to stay on the fish. So far, I am having a great time.
    Now if people didn’t have jobs, I wouldn’t have to fish alone all the time

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

great reports wats can you let me in on where you were maybe???

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

great reports wats can you let me in on where you were maybe???

Now dat right there is a GOOD one…

You gotta learn to follow him around like I do….right Wats..

Great report Mike …..cYa on the ice soon

BTW bud…..I only work part time….usually done by 10 –

PM me

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Nice fish Mike! How big did the crappies get up to?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Sounds like great action Wats!
    Good job!!!!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Mine were up to 12″, but the other guy out there had a couple slabs. One went 14″ and had a belly like I have never seen, it was HUGE
    Hopefully, in the next few days I will be able to get the big ones myself

smaders06

GREAY Report WATS Those were some deffinate dandies!!
    Stay on them and have a fun/safe year

justin_panno
    La Crosse, WI

nice report wats, it is good to see that you are on the crappies, it is only a matter of time before i hit the jackpot , again nice report

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

nice report wats, it is good to see that you are on the crappies, it is only a matter of time before i hit the jackpot , again nice report

I’ll hit it first and I’ll be kind enough to let you fish my hole J.P.

OK wats. If I was sending you a PM I’d use some other words, lol but I’ll keep it simple and say that reading this makes me quite pissed..I knew the front would have a GREAT bite going, and I checked the weather last night and it wasn’t supposed to start around 2-3..I thought we’d get out and get in on some good action, but it seemed like the fish were just slowing down when we got to the spot. They bit for a while and died great report, like i said, I’m jealous!!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I noticed this morning they kept changing the times as to when it was going to start. At first they said around 9, then it was after 12. I know it started to snow around 11 or so. They were actually going right away this morning according to the guy I talked to. He was there just after daylight and already had a good dozen crappie, about a half dozen gills, and 4 bass, laying on the ice.
    To think Cade, I haven’t even been down to the best crappie hole yet this year I am sure we will meet up there sometime this winter and hammer the crappie

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

lol. well it sure has its times..Maybe we could exchange information..a spot for a spot of course I’m only kidding. I really want to hit up some of the other stuff up north on the river that is known for crappies..

howler
    bagley wi.

earnit

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Derek Hanson

Nice report Wats!! I made it out for the first time this year early Monday morning and caught 15 crappies, 10 sunfish, and 3 northerns on waxworms (lol). I caught all these fish in just a couple hours, but they were very finicky. If you didn’t have light line with a spring bobber, you might as well go home. My buddy was in the house with me and he only caught 2 crappies and 1 sunfish because he had a heavy set up (line) and no spring bobber. He couldn’t believe all the fish I was catching right next to him. They would barely just tap the spring bobber, and like I said if you didn’t have one, you might as well stay home.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Nice report Mike. Great to see you out on the hard water.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.