St Croix Legand Ice Rods

• Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

I am in the market for a legand ice rod to be used to panfish and crappies, My question to you guys it which action do I get. Ultra lite or lite? I can’t make up my mind. Thanks guys

scottsteil
    Central MN

The Legend Ice rods have stiffer action than most ice anglers used to. A 24UL will be plenty for panfish. My choice for walleye would be the ML. Once you get to the Medium, you could pull in a Laker.

Just like their open water rods, the better the quality, the stiffer/lighter they get. Oh, and the those legend rods are SWEET

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Yeah, what Scott said.

I just got my 2 legends in last week. I got the Lite and the Med-Heavy. They are definately stiffer than most rods out there… but that spring bobber kind of takes the place of an extremely flexible rod in my opinion… Fish can’t feel it… but you can see it.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I bought two of them last year and love them…the only problem was the second time I used them I broke one on a 12 perch! It broke right at the second eye. I knew st croix backs up their rods so I sent it in because this obviously was a defect. My rods are always stored/transported in one of those plastic sided guncases(very handy and you don’t have to worry about tangles). To make a long story short, they sent me a letter back stating that I abused the rod and they would not replace it. This is the second rod I sent in with the same results……..(second one being open water rod)

On the same note, my brother found a broken rod while canoeing which was broke just above the symbol by the cork. You could hardly tell the brand……You guessed it….sent it in and recieved a new one…….unbelievable!!!!!!

Hope yours hold up.

tigermusky
    St. Louis Park

Quote:

I bought two of them last year and love them…the only problem was the second time I used them I broke one on a 12 perch! It broke right at the second eye. I knew st croix backs up their rods so I sent it in because this obviously was a defect. My rods are always stored/transported in one of those plastic sided guncases(very handy and you don’t have to worry about tangles). To make a long story short, they sent me a letter back stating that I abused the rod and they would not replace it. This is the second rod I sent in with the same results……..(second one being open water rod)

On the same note, my brother found a broken rod while canoeing which was broke just above the symbol by the cork. You could hardly tell the brand……You guessed it….sent it in and recieved a new one…….unbelievable!!!!!!”

Hope yours hold up.

I had 2 in the same season do the same thing. Right next to the eyelet. I never sent mine in though. The only difference is they were both Premier. This was 2 years ago. I am also going to invest in the legends (I hope they have fixed the issue. – 50$ is an investment for a ice rod.) I too keep mine in a hard case – so it has to be a real issue.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I would definitely send them in! St. Croix’s service is legendary for taking care of all rods that don’t show obvious signs of abuse.

As for the Legends… I was advised by Dean @ Everts to NOT transport the Legend ice rods in the tube they came in if the rod will be slamming up and down in the tube. Apparently it is a very common way to damage these rods.

I’ve stored the rod at home in that tube and all has been fine. On the ice they sit in a bucket with the rest of my rods… and I haven’t had an issue.

I really like fishing those Legend rods!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I would recommend the ML- and get a couple of springs if you are only going to purchase one rod. I have used the medium light for panfish and walleyes, by interchanging the spring. I don’t believe it would be best to get the ultra light and then use it for walleyes possibly.

The ML with two different springs would allow you to target more fish with one rod…just my opinion from using the croix’s..

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Great info guys. Helps me make my choices for new rods. No to convince the BH that I need more rods. I can hear her now, “what about that tub of rods in the garage.”
    my responce is going to be just like the one she ALWAYS uses.
    “those old things.”
    Arnie

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

I like the open water St. Croix fishing rods and also i recently have seen the ice fishing rod to the St. Croix’s colection and it was a love at first site. I didn’t pick on up though because I relized my walet was left at home…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.