Early Ice Conditions

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m not one to preach about heading out on early ice, but I’d just like to take this opportunity to let everyone know that the current ice conditions on metro area lake is very dangerous right now.

I am actually one of those that try to be the first idiots on the ice every year, but I take a fairly safe approach doing so.

Sunday morning I went out on Linwood Lake, near Coon Lake, to chase some flags. I found about 90% of the ice under the snow to be a good 4-5″. While walking out I found myself on about 1″ of ice. I brushed the snow aside with my foot and could see a spider web!!! Took one chop with the chisel and went straight thru.

Anyone who goes out needs to be extremely careful!!! Every time I go out on early ice the chisel is in my hand and every other step I take 1 mighty chop with the chisel. If it goes thru or if I see water come up, I turn around and go back the way I came.

Please be smart out there!!!

howler
    bagley wi.

bigpike

Agreed, Ice conditions are treacherous in the Eau Claire area also, main lakes should not be counted on for safe ice at all, stick to the back bays that freeze first and were you know someone else has fished by following tracks, the snow has made things very tricky and uncertain, I have been finding 3″ of ice with a layer of snow ontop. Be SAFE!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I would say the same for the La Crosse area in many spots. I can not believe how many guys walk out this time of the year with an auger and bucket and no spud.
    Things are starting to shape up nicely but there are still spots to look out for.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.