12-2-08 Pool 8 Ice Report

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Made it out on the ice again today with “bone mover” for a late day outing.
    First off let me warn you, if you are going out on the ice in our area, USE YOUR SPUD!!! The snow/freezing rain we had has made for a sloppy mess everywhere. Also this adds to a sense of false security. You can’t tell the thickness of the ice by looking and you could potentially find yourself in a bad situation in a hurry. Lucky for us, this didn’t happen, but it very well could if you are not being careful
    With that said, the day started out with lots of moving around and punching holes with little to show for it. Ted did land a nice 8″ gill right away, but that didn’t last. Around 2, we finally located an area with some good sized gills, but the numbers just weren’t there unfortunately.
    When I finally did find the fish I found them to be about 8″ under the ice and in 3′ of water. The area didn’t really have any distinguishing characteristics, just a flat with a few weeds mixed in.
    The jig that caught all my fish today was a pink Rocker tipped with a waxie and like I mentioned, just under the ice.
    The pics I have do not do the fish justice. They were a solid 8-9″ fish with some serious shoulders on them. I think my big hands throw off the true size of these great little fighters.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.