Let’s talk ice cleats! tis the season

• birddog
    Mn.

Another ice season and once again I’m in the search of the perfect ice cleat. Over the years I’ve tried several different makes an styles, I still find myself back at the rubber slip on cheapos made by south bend?? I believe, the same ones you see at just about every bait store, walmart, etc, for 5 bucks a pair.

I’ve tried the creepers, holy crap are those things wicked, they look like something that should be on the movie SAW. I found them uncomfortable and unusable for the style of fishing I do which is run’gun, on off the wheeler, bouncing hole to hole. They’re just cumbersome but the traction is the best.

Yak’s, thought they were junk and way overpriced. Tried 2 different models although they looked identical! The flimsy coils don’t give much traction, I’ve slipped and fallen wearing them. Part of the problem with this style is if you wear a boot with any sort of trac or lugs the coil/rubber just pushes up between the jugs when you put weight down rendering them pretty much useless.

I’ve tried the velcro on studded pads made by HT?? I believe. Size 13+ model, the velcro straps won’t fit around a 12 boot? Those are still sitting in the atv pouch, never used them once as they don’t fit around a boot with any sort of insulation. They barely fit around my hiking shoes let alone a boot.

I really like the convenience and grip power of the slip on cheapies, problem is the rubber breaks, always at the same point where the rubber is fused. I always have to keep them down on the floor of the truck by the heater for a while to soften up the rubber so they slip/stretch over my boot, if I don’t they break instantly. I’ve been going through at least 3 sets a year.

I’ve gotten to the point I’m ready to turn my 1200 Gram cabelas boots into studded soles by taking some hex head screws to the sole.

What do you guys like?

BIRDDOG

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.