chubby darter equipment

• genegr
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I didn’t have much luck with the chubby last year. I was using 3’s & 4’s. I saw the video the other day about using snap swivels, there’s one thing that I wasn’t doing. Any type of rod and line seem to work the best for you guy’s. I will be fishing mostly metro lakes again this year. thanks

mpoot
    Eagan, MN

I caught one northern on a #4 last year and that was it. Tied 6 lb. line directly to the lure.

genegr
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Thanks, your one up on me. I seem to get them on the screen but never to bite.

BradPitt
    Cawford Cty, WI

I have caught a total of three walleyes on these lures in three years. Often I will be fishing with an Airplane, Jiggin Rap or Nils Jigger, catch a fish and drop a darter down only to get zip. I figure if I can get one down while there are fish there, something might happen. Success rate just aint that high. Most of the time I am using 10 lb Power Pro with a 10 lb leader on Erie and SE Mich, or 10 lb mono directily tied to the jig, havent tried the snap either.

corey-studer

I have used the #4’s on Mille Lacs and LOTW with mixed results. They do seem to be more productive on bigger fish than other presentations for me. For line, I use 5# P-Line Floro-Ice and use a #2 dual lock snap and use a barrel swivel about 18″ above the snap using ALL 5# line. The swivel helps keep the twisting down. In fact I use this set up for all spoon applications. For the rod I use the Thorne Bros. medium sweet heart walleye rod. I can’t wait to try the #3’s this winter as they look very enticing. Now if they’ll be enticing to those neutural to negattive fish. I’ll probably even use them for crappie and perch too!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.