The ultimate ice-fishing vehicle?

• jhalfen

I had a chance to stroll around this machine while Absolute2ks was doing a bit of touch-up work on my Crestliner prior to my recent Mille Lacs trip.

A admit to not being much of an ATV guy, but this machine seems to be made with the ice-fisherman in mind. Take a look at those tracks….it looks like they would eat slush for breakfast! Kevin tells me that the tracks exchange for regular tires in short order.

Anyone have a chance to ride on something like this yet?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Kevin, how do they handle on ice?

I saw them out on Horseshoe lake a couple years ago when the snow was still fluffy. I kept thinking I was going to get stuck…and this guy was scooting around like he was on the highway.

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have not had them on the ice, YET! but I did demo it in the swamp for a guy last week I went for 2 miles in about a foot to foot and a half of water, never had this much fun in a long time.

I have a demo video that shows them in about 2 foot of snow with ease. Also they make studs for the tracks so I would believe that you would be safer on this machine than on foot by far.

It sure is a nice easy fit for the Kymco MXU 500.

2K’S

david_scott
    Twin Cities

They are awesome in the snow and slush, I didnt get to ride one much on glare ice. I believe they can be studded.

They are pretty much unstoppable, but the price of a set of tracks for a 4×4 can easily hit the price range of a good newer model used machine(up to 4K$).

They are not as fast as a snowmobile, but your not going to get stuck on these either under any normal circumstance.

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I will sell them for $3000.00 To fit most machines, this is for the 4 season kit for use year around.

2K’S

jhalfen

Quote:

They are not as fast as a snowmobile, but your not going to get stuck on these either under any normal circumstance.

That’s kinda what I was thinking!

For lakes that get slushy (like Lake Wissota does), I think something like this would be the cat’s meow!

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

That would just be one great machine for late and early ice.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

You still need to use care after going through slush or wet terrain in cold conditions. You dont want any tracks whether its a snowmobile or an ATV to be full of slush and park them in a cold climate before the tracks are pretty much unloaded. The last thing you want is a big ball of ice after an extended period sitting still in the cold.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

I’ve heard from people on LOTW the mat trax? version struggle a bit in slushy conditions but these look different?

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Cool.

However if you already own a 4 wheeler and have the 3 grand to spend, go buy a sled to deal with snow and slush.

Now days you can get a good used one for around 2 grand then take the extra grand you have left over and do something nice for the wife.

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I’ve heard from people on LOTW the mat trax? version struggle a bit in slushy conditions but these look different?

You are right these are new to the market (not mat trax) from camoplast, they have 4 different versions on the market, this one seem to be put together real well and can be used all year around.

2K’S

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Cool.

However if you already own a 4 wheeler and have the 3 grand to spend, go buy a sled to deal with snow and slush.

Now days you can get a good used one for around 2 grand then take the extra grand you have left over and do something nice for the wife.

Well that is true, although I have seen sleds stuck in the slush and let me tell you they are fun to get out, also you have more to store, insure, maintain, and it’s always in the way when you want to get at something else, just to use it in snow or ice only and not be able to go to the lake deep in the woods someplace because we have not enough snow to run a snowmobile.

that is just my take on it just one thing to maintain, seem like everything stacks up 1 car, 2 trucks, a camper, bike, 2 4wheelers, 2 snowmobiles, 2 boats, a few trailers when do you say when and make 1 thing work for 2 jobs.

2K’S

mpoot
    Eagan, MN

That thing is awesome. What’s the top end speed on a rig like that?

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

There is a thirty five to forty Percent reduction in speed compared to when the wheels are on. So a 50mph machine should go around 30mph. the beauty thing about this machine is you do not have to blast thru everything like you sometimes have to with a Snowmobile 4 tracks vs 1 on a sled

2K’S

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

No disrespect, but I have a hard time believing that that’s going to do a better job going through slush than a sled would.

One large track on a sled would distribute the load better than 4 smaller ones.

What about parts availability?

Twice in the last 10 years we have broken down and needed parts for our sleds while fishing Lake of the Woods.

No problem finding parts in town.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Kevin, if you were a real nice guy, you would have mounted it on a two up model so I have a place to ride.

Maybe you can pull me on a sled behind it.

Sully

captkev
    Todd County Mn.

Any of you remember the weekend og the Minnesota Ice Team Trap Attack last year on Chisago just east of Forest Lake. There was a prety good storm that weekend. I seen one of these tracked quads out there. It realy did seem to be unstopable. That guy (Bob Horn?) was every where with that thing.

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

No disrespect, but I have a hard time believing that that’s going to do a better job going through slush than a sled would.

One large track on a sled would distribute the load better than 4 smaller ones.

What about parts availability?

Twice in the last 10 years we have broken down and needed parts for our sleds while fishing Lake of the Woods.

No problem finding parts in town.

I am sorry but I did not reply to this post before but it is tough for me to try and put the point across about these vs snowmobiles, people that have not seen them work just say (he is just another salesman) the truth is you have 4 tracks powered vs 1 track and two skis, they both have there spot, what I am saying is that if you are going trail riding use a Snowmobile, if you want to explore at a slower rate of speed (without getting stuck) so that you can turn in the woods or venture out on the ice and see where you are going before you get there I beleve these are the ticket my .02 but you are also hearing it from others like,

Quote:

Scenic: That would just be one great machine for late and early ice.

Quote:

David Scott :They are awesome in the snow and slush, I didnt get to ride one much on glare ice

Quote:

Captkev: Any of you remember the weekend og the Minnesota Ice Team Trap Attack last year on Chisago just east of Forest Lake. There was a prety good storm that weekend. I seen one of these tracked quads out there. It realy did seem to be unstopable. That guy (Bob Horn?) was every where with that thing.

who have seen these track systems work.

2K’S

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I have to agree with “the salesman” having seen one in the snow.

I want a set!

Just another reason why the FW needs to get a second job.

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

BK do I have a deal for you
    2K’S

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Will these fit on my Polaris Magnum 330?

Or would it be better to go with the set up you have in the first photo?

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Yes the track system will fit your current atv, but better yet might be to move up to a Kymco MXU 500 like the one you see there in the pic’s that Jason posted.

also here is some specs on the Camoplast track system 4s
    2K’S

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Yes the track system will fit your current atv, but better yet might be to move up to a Kymco MXU 500 like the one you see there in the pic’s that Jason posted.

Ok…why would I want to up grade my ATV? I use my 330 for ice fishing mostly. It might have 50 hours on it.

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Well first of all the Kymco MXU 500 comes with a 4 YEAR WARRANTY (Kymco is serious about there product and want you to know that by providing a 4 year warranty), so you would have a warranty again you would be moving up in CC to a 500 which would help as far as doing utility work and that sort of thing and would allow you a little more speed with the tracks on around 35MPH where your 330 I think would do around 20 to 25. Don’t get me wrong you can use your Polaris but the Kymco will give you more power, a warranty, and more ground clearance right now the MXU 500 stands at around 13.5” of clearance with the tracks on. Also the fit and finish on the Kymco and Camoplast 4S system together is great.

2K’S

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I need your phone number big guy.

jhalfen

(715) 723-7705

nawrocki
    Fairmont, MN

i want a set for my 06 800 sportsman!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I asked first Rocki!

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

715-723-7705

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

Havn’t strolled in one of those yet but i would love to get my hands on one…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.